Tidal Fish Forum banner

I just heard about this not for profit organization that takes kids with cancer out fishing for free

Good Information 
3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  don673326 
#1 · (Edited)
I just heard about this not for profit (501) organization that takes kids (and their families) with cancer or in remission out fishing for free. They arrange charter fishing trips for them and their families, for the kids that cannot go on a boat, they arrange and pays for them to fish from shore and feed them during their trip and make sure they will come away with a with a life time of memories.

I did a lot of research on them and after looking at their facebook page and their web site and talking to their president, I believe they are doing a wonderful thing. When you see the kids and their families smiling faces it will melt your heart. They are always looking for donations and if you have a few extra dollars, or a lot of extra dollars, please check out their web site for the link to make a donation. I did and it was easy and I know my donation will be going to a great cause.

When you look at their facebook page and or their web site, you will see lots of local charter captains taking the kids out fishing.

https://www.facebook.com/hookedonhopevb/

https://hookedonhopevb.org/?fbclid=IwAR2Ug-66ocmcuoDyxaNCRHGm7fQ3QSkz1HpEIug3ZTpAOneE6E4-GlCh7WQ

See less See more
#5 ·
Kinda like Wish a Fish that the TFr's have put on for over a decade
Wish-a-Fish a 501C has been doing this for years! A special Kudos to Skip Zinck who has been ramrodding that organization for as long as I remember. And a special thanks to all of the Captains and their boats for the contribution and guidance they have provided. Let's keep up the good work for the needs that are out there.

#4 ·
I helped start the Tidewater chapter of Military Appreciation Day. http://militaryappreciationday.net/mad-chapters-tidewater-va

The question you have to ask is how you plan to raise funds for the event. If you are a non-profit any donations that you receive may be tax deductible for the company/person making the donation. Further you get tax breaks being a non-profit. We were able to also get some pro bono work by a legal firm to help set up the charter. You have a great cause and I would imagine you can get help to set it up. I was the treasurer when we first set it up and we had to file taxes annually. Since I'm not a tax guy it took some research but it was possible. We set up a board of directors to govern the organization and non of us received any compensation for our time. This made the tax reporting much easier.

There are other members on Tidal fish and they may chime in also. I'd be happy to help where I can but like I said, I'm no expert. The key is that you must have some very engaged members to get it off the ground and keep it running, especially to receive donations/find sponsors. I'm no longer part of the board but I'm sure they would be happy to share experiences/lessons learned with you.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.