Crabbing with Promar Lobster and Crab Net
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Crabbing with Promar Lobster and Crab Net

Hey everyone i wanted to ask you crabbers a question as i am a first year crabber. I purchase these net about 5 years ago but never used them. I am ready to use them now but I would like to know if these are legal to use in Maryland.

I found this on DNR wesbite:

(3) "Crab net ring" means a manually operated, portable device that:

(a) Consists of:

(i) Two rings, each of a different diameter, connected by netting, where the larger of the two rings shall be less than or equal to 30 inches in diameter; or THIS RING ABOVE IS 32 INCHES

(ii) One ring that shall be less than or equal to 30 inches in diameter, connected to netting; HERE STATES AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A SMALLER RING UNDER 30 ITS OK

(b) When baited and lowered to the bottom, lies flat on the bottom; and

(c) When pulled to the surface, forms a deep pocket out of the netting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

i doubt there will be a problem with getting checked as long as there's no other obvious violations, the bigger they are the harder to pull so thats the only drawback with them, but you have room for more bait around the perimeter of the inner circle which could net more crabs. the difference between 30 and 32 is not enough to put the cuffs on

Thanks partime. I want to try and get at least 8 more of these for a total of 10, but i want to be sure before i invest in them. I have one of these to help me get the net up and to keep the line from wearing out my rub rails.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dban520 View Post
    Hey everyone i wanted to ask you crabbers a question as i am a first year crabber. I purchase these net about 5 years ago but never used them. I am ready to use them now but I would like to know if these are legal to use in Maryland.

I found this on DNR wesbite:

(3) "Crab net ring" means a manually operated, portable device that:

(a) Consists of:

(i) Two rings, each of a different diameter, connected by netting, where the larger of the two rings shall be less than or equal to 30 inches in diameter; or THIS RING ABOVE IS 32 INCHES

(ii) One ring that shall be less than or equal to 30 inches in diameter, connected to netting; HERE STATES AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A SMALLER RING UNDER 30 ITS OK

(b) When baited and lowered to the bottom, lies flat on the bottom; and

(c) When pulled to the surface, forms a deep pocket out of the netting.
    Based on size, they are not allowed since the larger ring is greater than 30"

(ii) Does not apply to your trap because yours has 2 rings.

Chuck

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

With these particular Promar rings, can the crabs get out once they go in? If not, you would need a commercial license since they are not considered rec...

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

I have no clue as to who or why the regs read the way they do regarding the diameter of the ring(s), however, the regs clearly state the ring(s) must not exceed 30 inches in diameter. You might be able to get away with using them, but then again, you might not and you could be the recipient of a hefty fine.

You could easily reduce the diameter to 30 inches or less making them legal in MD waters. That's what I would do if I owned a number of them and wanted to use them here.

Another option is to sell them on eBay or some other venue and use the proceeds to buy rings that are legal in MD. Around here mostly 18 inch diameter rings are used and are quite a bit easier to handle and store both in the boat and at home.

I seriously doubt you will catch more crabs using the 32 inch rings vs a smaller diameter ring. A larger quantity of smaller rings spread out over a larger area should catch a greater number of crabs in my opinion.

Regarding commercial crabbers use of rings like these, they are required to use 30 inch or smaller diameter rings as well.

Good luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabyn Fever View Post
    Based on size, they are not allowed since the larger ring is greater than 30"

(ii) Does not apply to your trap because yours has 2 rings.

Chuck
    Chuck,

What gets me is the (i) has an OR attached at the end. Now after reading it several more times you are correct, i see where my misunderstanding lies now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianczaw View Post
    With these particular Promar rings, can the crabs get out once they go in? If not, you would need a commercial license since they are not considered rec...
    Yes it a net that lay flat on the bottom, anything that get on top can go as it pleases. the smaller ring is just the bait holder. I use to use this when fishing at tall piers to bring fish up and to catch crabs while there.

11. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements