Need some Help mercruiser complete engine repower suggestions for 1988 Donzi fc 23 alpha

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default mercruiser complete engine repower suggestions for 1988 Donzi fc 23 alpha

I am acquiring a 1988 Donzi fc (fish/cuddy)23. It currently has no engine at all and a "all but" brand new alpha 1 outdrive. was previously powered by a 5.7 (350) carbureted mercruiser. My buddy inadvertently started the previous motor up at the dock and let it warm up a while not realizing that the drive was in the mud. It warmed up, way up. He yanked the motor with all intentions of rebuilding or repowering when life just took him in a different direction. He wound up scrapping the engine. this is a cool little boat configured to fish. The helm is really far forward and the cockpit is huge despite the engine cover. The cuddy is small but a nice little dry storage area. I know that a complete new or remanufactured engine is going to cost about what,or a little more than the boat is worth. Given the the price of the boat and trailer(nice completely rebuilt aluminum trailer) I think I might take the plunge and buy a turn key complete engine.and bring this little boat back to life. My buddy fabricated and installed a new aluminum fuel tank and reinforced the stringers with fiberglass three years ago before he cooked the bearings. Overall the boat is in great shape. the outer hull is nearly perfect. I've been looking at 350 mpi motors that put out 300 hp. (max recommended for alpha drives). I have no need to go 50 mph. on the water but would rather have a little more power than I need than not enough. Does anyone have any suggestions on new or remanufactured engine brands and where to buy. The boat is currently at my buddies shop and he and I (mainly HE) will be doing the install. He is hands down the best mechanic that I know. I have been looking hard at the mercury plus series of factory remanufactured engines.
    Last edited by christmasshad; 09-19-2020 at 07:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I boat my boat a second time when I repowered in 2016. Motor, Outdrive transome assembly and transom fiberglass work.

Bought new from Michigan Motorz, complete turn key with a Delco ignition system.

Who installs it makes the difference, For me, it wasn’t Tri-States finer moments as my usual merc mechanic was recovering from surgery. They have stopped being a certified Merc shop anyway.

Good luck!!

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I second Michigan Motorz. Very good to work with.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

If it was mine i would install a bracket and a big Yamaha 😊

Don’t know if you can find one but my 496 (8.1L) has been a great motor. 1500 hours and good as new (knock wood!!!).

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Get rid of the engine box and have it fitted for a Suzuki 300 outboard on a bracket.......... Gary

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    Get rid of the engine box and have it fitted for a Suzuki 300 outboard on a bracket.......... Gary
    I appreciate the input. And though I would love to do the outboard conversion, that ain't gonna happen. Could probably get a bravo 3 and engine for less than the cost of a new 300 OB. and then you got the bracket, fiberglass , controls etc. Believe it or not, the engine cover on this little boat just doesn't seem so intrusive. the boat came with two little upholstered jump seats that just lift up and out of the way, for fishing.( literally just a piece of plywood with cushioning and flashy donzi upholstery). throw the seats in the cuddy and its wide open to the transom. Been really stressing the options especially with the economic uncertainty here lately.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Don’t know if you can find one but my 496 (8.1L) has been a great motor. 1500 hours and good as new (knock wood!!!).
    I'm pretty sure your over 300 hp. I'd have to upgrade to a Bravo for that. Thanks and I wish you many thousand more hours.

Quote Originally Posted by christmasshad View Post
    I appreciate the input. And though I would love to do the outboard conversion, that ain't gonna happen. Could probably get a bravo 3 and engine for less than the cost of a new 300 OB. and then you got the bracket, fiberglass , controls etc. Believe it or not, the engine cover on this little boat just doesn't seem so intrusive. the boat came with two little upholstered jump seats that just lift up and out of the way, for fishing.( literally just a piece of plywood with cushioning and flashy donzi upholstery). throw the seats in the cuddy and its wide open to the transom. Been really stressing the options especially with the economic uncertainty here lately.
    big little boat!donzi-fc23-2505892.jpgdonzi-fc23-2505895.jpgthe identical model, not the same boat. similar condition

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements