Fishing Report Fishing Picking Up - Page 3
VA Northern Neck Forum Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The speckled trout fishing is still great (in mid November!) Have tried a few new places (too many boats out) and done well everywhere, when the weather is not too clear and bright. Not seeing big schools of trout or bait, and the fish are not concentrated near piers, or grassbeds, and mostly scattered. But bigger than a few months ago; seem to be growing fast.

Played catch-and-release yesterday: an 18", 17" and two 16"ers, plus some smaller ones I didn't measure. Had maybe 15-20 knockdowns while rowing, but "nobody's home" when I grabbed the two rods. Almost all caught in the fog. No bites casting (which is more fun).

Have been catching a fair amount of schoolie rockfish, up to 26", on the same leadhead/grubs used for speckled trout in the same places. I move when i get my one limit. You catch one, more schoolies around! A rare gray trout (weakfish), but no puppy drum for me?

We'll see what the rain does.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Speckled trout are still here and active, the water is still relatively warm. This morning my fellow fishermen looked like Eskimos but all were catching fish. Lots of small rockfish mixed in (retie; specks have sharp teeth, as I was reminded on my biggest fish this morning). Most fish 19".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Went out yesterday November the 20th early, was surprised at so many boats out on the Piankatank. Everyone seemed to be trolling the shorelines for speckled trout. Bigger fish are running about 20" and easy to get a limit. Giant "flights" or "gulps" of cormorants seemed to have cut down on the bait, but gulls, loons and even eagles were working areas, along with motorboats, where the bait surfaced. Still plenty of speckled trout. I had a bad leak in my rowboat so couldn't go where I intended. Also some days I get all my bites rowing (most spit the hooks before I can ship oars). Yesterday they only bit when drifting and casting lures (chartreuse on jighead best, though also caught on other colors and lures), including two where the lures set on the bottom due to windknots. Caught eight specks, kept three 20"ers, and was surprised by eight rockfish, all 18" to 24" (I kept the first keeper), promised friends in Richmond fresh fish today. The specks were hitting light but soon came up thrashing at the surface, the little stripers hit hard, and stayed low giving a good account for themselves on my light tackle despite their lack of size. Highs in the 60s next week so the bite will likely continue past Thanksgiving!

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Weekend keepers 23” and 24” rockfish. 23”caught on flat water Saturday, 24” caught in 3’ waves Sunday. Both jigging on channel edges in the Bay in 30’ water. Seagulls in area, but if I see a loon I fish. Caught and ate a 13” Black Sea bass for the first time, now those are never going back.

I avoided the weekend, but noticed many fewer specks in the shoreline areas Monday where most people troll and cast for them. Caught most of 11 fish in the middle of the river rowing (in the wind!), trailing lines. Most of the speckled trout were smallish (13-15") and I kept only one 20"er and an 17" (cannot see well and my filleting of small trout is a disaster and a waste!) Caught another small keeper rockfish (and a short). Although I missed lots of bites, none struck me as being anything bigger (always good to have a few big ones get away!) An exceptional number of anglers out (from Covid-19?) or maybe the spectacular speck fishing this season from at least the Corrotoman River and Indian Creek, shallow grassy parts of the Rappahannock, much of the Piankatank, and the Ware River and Mobjack Bay and its creeks in rivers. And that's just in my area, from what I've heard, and I suspect the same in every tidal VA river and many will soon be in the Bay.
    I've noticed over the years the rockfish seem to be dominated by size classes. Right now mostly 18-26" (probably two year classes, but school together). Can only can keep one, but are the best eating!

7. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23