Fishing Report Fishing Picking Up
VA Northern Neck Forum Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Fishing Picking Up

Starting to catch rock and specs in the shallows on poppers, what a blast. Only pics I have are fillets. Friend got a 24" puppy drum in same shallows. Not a great summer, hopeful for the fall.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Fish are active and aggressive right now. Its the time for bigger fish in shallow water.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Went out yesterday on the Piankatank, I was shocked at the large number of boats, guess because it was a Saturday. The gray weather, drizzle and light breeze agreed with the speckled trout and I caught 11, smallest 14". Kept four 16" to 20". Caught one short puppy drum. I've only seen photos of a few monsters, but this is a great Fall for speckled trout and if we don't have a killing cold spell, there will be bigger ones in the next few years.
    Most fishermen are secretive about specks, but they are everywhere and easy to catch. Take kids fishing!

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Good job on the specks. They have been plentiful this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SlateDog View Post
    Good job on the specks. They have been plentiful this year.
    Yeah, talking to others they have been catching them in the Ware River off Mobjack and in the mouth of the Corrotoman in the Rapp. They seem to be plentiful (along with puppy drums) everywhere in the VA river mouths emptying into the Bay. A beautiful and fun fish, and hopefully we'll be chasing bigger ones next year. Just pray there's no massive deep freeze for several more years.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I too was out on the Piankatank, had similar success on variety, but all mine were smaller. Managed one keeper. I did hit it mid tide and didn't wait long enough to fish the later high.

Now I'm shuffling my work schedule to get back out in quick order

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Fry View Post
    I too was out on the Piankatank, had similar success on variety, but all mine were smaller. Managed one keeper. I did hit it mid tide and didn't wait long enough to fish the later high.

Now I'm shuffling my work schedule to get back out in quick order
    What are you using for bait on the Specks? I have never fished for them before but I see a lot of boats heading into Cranes Creek fishing.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber garbageman's Avatar

Nice Fish !
    If Gun Control Worked! Wouldn't Chicago Be The Safest City In The Nation?

[QUOTE=wicomico fish;3381853]What are you using for bait on the Specks?

I'm mostly using 1/4 or 3/8 oz jigheads and plastics, but I see people with castnets and crabs, mirrolures, Gulp!, etc. Just about anything works when they are biting. I change up colors when bite is slow; chartreuse, white and pink curly tails or button tails are "standard". If fishing shallows try to minimize boat and motor vibrations and noise, I drift and cast a lot.

Went out during rising tide today. Caught 8 specks, but only two flirted with 14" minimum. I try to avoid keeping anything under 16", no meat. All caught while rowing, missed more than I caught, but don't think any were very big. Hopefully just an off day for the bite. There were lots of boats and speckled trout fishermen out.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast