Fishing Report Fishing Picking Up - Page 2
VA Northern Neck Forum Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I was using z-man paddle tails in a variety of colors. Bigger baits produced better than smaller (4-5 in varieties).

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default trout going nuts

Shallow water casting lead heads with twister tails.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sweetfish View Post
    Shallow water casting lead heads with twister tails.
    Nice fish! I've caught specks every trip (maybe ten?) that I've been out, except one (just catfish after rains). But I have yet to catch any over 22" (two to four a trip over 17"). Fun catch and release and lots of small ones, just hope they improve size-wise next year. So many boats out after them, must be huge numbers (as we discovered after the cold kill years ago, (2014(?) in Rappahannock and Piankatank creek mouths).

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The commercial speckled trout fishery went to a bycatch fishery starting Oct. 1. They hit 80% of the quota in one month. That means 100 pounds per licensed commercial waterman per day with an equal amount of other finfish. When the catch reaches the 51,000 pound quota it will be closed until Sept. 1st. Last year VMRC was not quick enough and the season was closed for the rest of the year on about Oct. 15th.

At the FMAC meeting on Wed. 14 Oct. at 5 PM there will be a discussion on future plans for long term solutions relating to the commercial fishery. I am not sure what that means but I would bet that options could include increasing the quota or bycatch allowance or not closing the bycatch fishery even when the 51,000 pound quota is met. I am hoping (but am not hopeful) for coming up with ways to make it not a derby fishery as it has been in the past two years.

The meeting is an on line webex meeting. For info regarding how to attend go to VMRC's web based calendar at:

https://mrc.virginia.gov/calendar.shtm

Tom Powers (Member VMRC Fisheries Management Advisory Committee)

[QUOTE=Tom Powers;3382217]The commercial speckled trout fishery went to a bycatch fishery starting Oct. 1. They hit 80% of the quota in one month. That means 100 pounds per licensed commercial waterman per day with an equal amount of other finfish. When the catch reaches the 51,000 pound quota it will be closed until Sept. 1st. Last year VMRC was not quick enough and the season was closed for the rest of the year on about Oct. 15th.

With the disappearance of striped bass, big bluefish, croaker and gray trout (weakfish), speckled trout is the "only game in town". They are everywhere, and more people are fishing for them than ever before (partly due to Covid-19 sparing fishing in Virginia). Before the 2013-14(?) FREEZE and FISH KILL, I was mostly a catch-and-release speck fisherman, but after seeing hundreds of thousands of dead trout that no one even knew existed, I think the fishery could handle more exploitation (that said, I will keep a few over 17", but no need for me to keep little ones). The speckled trout grows quick and breeds at two years of age (of course the same could be said for the gray trout, where did they go?) It is sad that most speckled trout caught commercially go to catfood, or maybe that's just a rumor? NC was trying to get speckled trout (and red drum) declared a gamefish, don't know if that happened?

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I caught two greys about 10'' at Gloucester point on Friday. They were in with the Rock around lights. Nice to see them. They haven't been thick since I was a kid.

In general, how big are the baits you all are throwing right now? I see folks throwing big topwaters, I have them but rarely fish the big spooks in favor of the spook Jr. Am I missing out? I'm throwing plastics in the 4-5 inch range right now. I also bought two yo-zuri pins minnows this summer because they look great, haven't fished them yet.

Default Trout

You ever fish around Wormley Creek? I hear trout are there but I've never fished it.

Quote Originally Posted by rowboater1 View Post
    Went out yesterday on the Piankatank, I was shocked at the large number of boats, guess because it was a Saturday. The gray weather, drizzle and light breeze agreed with the speckled trout and I caught 11, smallest 14". Kept four 16" to 20". Caught one short puppy drum. I've only seen photos of a few monsters, but this is a great Fall for speckled trout and if we don't have a killing cold spell, there will be bigger ones in the next few years.
    Most fishermen are secretive about specks, but they are everywhere and easy to catch. Take kids fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin23 View Post
    You ever fish around Wormley Creek? I hear trout are there but I've never fished it.
    I haven't fished in the Yorktown area in a long time, but talking to people, speckled trout seem to be everywhere (still haven't caught one over 22"). I used to fish some in Mobjack Bay and the rivers there, but lately just the Rapp and Piankatank, from Gwynn Island to Freeport (and specks have been everywhere). Mostly I fish shallows (out to 10 feet deep). Haven't seen bait balls lately, which are good to cast to. Specks and even more so the gray trout, don't like the bluebird skies we have had lately; I fish deeper if very bright. They also don't like motors in the shallows (or maybe I don't like motorboats!) but often do better drifting in motorboats with friends (although many run and gun from grassbeds to guts/creek mouths and do fine.) Lot of small puppy drum and stiffback perch as bycatch. Sometimes I leave fish to find fish if I get on a school of 12-14" specks and no big ones seem mixed in.

While topwater is more fun, a hungry speckled trout will hit anything. I mostly fish variants of charteuse, pink or white grubs and shads on jigheads. Clearly they can be particular, and I suggest trying lots of lures. Usually it doesn't help for other fish (often on or off), but I have had luck switching colors or sizes as well as lures on specks; sometime 2" grubs are best even for bigger specks, other times a 5" grub is best (and more likely to catch a rockfish). Of course, others will tell you live minnows or shedder crab will outfish artificial. Experiment. Just don't fall in love with one lure, none work all the time.

Red face

Fished in the fog this morning. Tide was somewhat low but the low light was great for fishing. The shallows are getting a lot of fishing pressure now with boats fishing the shallows almost anytime of the day, particularly high tide.

But the early fog was the ticket for me. Caught many undersize rock and trout. I miss many trout opportunities as I am casting topwater plugs almost all the time. I can see the silver flash of the trout as they attack the plug, but they usually strike short of the plug. So I switch to a lead head jig to close the deal. I think the plug gets Rock and trout excited, which gets them aggressive for other lures. This is the most extended shallow water fishing season that I can remember, which is a good thing since Bay fishing sucks. (although a friend of mine got a 38" Red yesterday).

I love fishing in the fog too! More fun on top water for sure! However for me the most important thing is to keep switching lures and don't fall in love with any one type.

Caught my first nice speck yesterday. Neighbor wanted a "big one", has difficulty fileting the small one, so I kept it. Always feel a bit bad when I keep a big fish, always like a separate species. Also caught an 18" (kept as well). Will be putting the big ones back for others to catch now (unless a real monster! Never caught a speck over 26".) Best eating ones are in the 17" to 21" range.

Fish are a bit curved from being in a bag with ice bottles, and so much prettier alive. Have to start carrying a camera/ phone.

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12