Good Information Remember the guy that had over 30 illegal striped bass? - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I by no means agree with it but its a business decision. Far fewer people would pay for a charter in order to catch a single fish. Less people chartering = more charters out of business.

Chuck

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

To add to the discussion about recreational poachers, charter boat operations, and impacts to the striped bass population:

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2020/0...investigation/

Six Charged with Striped Bass Violations Following Investigation

August 31, 2020

Department Cites Charter Boat Operators

Maryland Natural Resources Police have charged six charter boat operators with multiple fishing violations following a lengthy investigation into the use of prohibited fishing gear. The investigation began in October 2019 in response to tips received by concerned citizens.

During the investigation, police discovered several charter boats had violated the size and catch limit for striped bass, failed to use non-offset circle hooks while chumming or live-lining in tidal waters as required in Maryland, and committed other violations.

The Natural Resources Police has been working tirelessly to make sure that those fishing for striped bass are following the law. This investigation is in addition to the more than 800 citations written to recreational fishers this season related to striped bass violations.

“While the vast majority of Maryland’s fishing community is law-abiding and understands the need for our regulations, there unfortunately are those who break the rules,” Maryland Natural Resources Police Col. Adrian Baker said. “Our conservation laws are designed for the protection and sustainability of our resources, and we will stay vigilant to see they are enforced.”

Those charged in the investigation are:

Brian Councell, Chestertown, operator of vessel Sea Dux:

Failure to use non-offset circle hooks while live-lining or chumming for striped bass (6 counts)

James Harris, North Beach, operator of vessel Compensation:

Possessing croaker less than 9 inches total length.
    Failure to comply with condition of pilot program permit (two counts)
    Possessing more than 15 pounds of fish whose size cannot be determined
    Failure to use non-offset circle hooks while live-lining or chumming for striped bass (6 counts)
    Failure to retain carcasses of filleted striped bass until arriving dockside
    Possessing striped bass less than 19 inches total length.
    Mutilation of striped bass carcass to the extent that the total length or species cannot be determined

John Reynolds Sr., Marydel, operator of vessel Retirement Fun:

Possessing striped bass less than 19 inches total length
    Using more than 2 hooks per line while using active line fishing gear (6 counts)

John Motovidlak Sr., Wittman, operator of vessel Dawn Marie:

Possessing more than 15 pounds of fish whose size cannot be determined
    Exceeding the summer-fall striped bass possession limit
    Failure to use non-offset circle hooks while live-lining or chumming for striped bass (3 counts)
    Failure to retain carcasses of filleted striped bass until arriving dockside
    Mutilation of striped bass carcass to the extent that the total length or species cannot be determined

William Eason, Oxford, operator of vessel Dana-Kat:

Failure to use non-offset circle hooks while live-lining or chumming for striped bass (8 counts)

Jesse Bolton, Dunkirk, operator of vessel Wild Goose:

Exchanging a striped bass in possession to possess another striped bass (1 count)

If convicted of these offenses, first-time offenders face a maximum fine of $1,000, and second-time offenders face $2,000. Those charged also face the potential suspension or revocation of fishing privileges and removal from the pilot program.

The recreational summer-fall striped bass fishing season reopens Sept. 1.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I think we need more laws/regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabyn Fever View Post
    I by no means agree with it but its a business decision. Far fewer people would pay for a charter in order to catch a single fish. Less people chartering = more charters out of business.

Chuck
    Perhaps you're right. These are the same charters that just a few weeks ago were packing their boats full of spanish mackrel 50-100 a trip and who also get double the rights to blue fish than the rest of do. Maybe if they did a better job managing the fishery they wouldn't be in this situation? And as far as I know, perch, spot, snakeheads, Catfish are still legal after limiting on rock.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

greetings, and respect to all, you all know that a PBJ is like a warning.

point one: the legislature could forbid the judges to grant a PBJ for a rockfish offense. I for one would favor that.

point two: the Legislature could identify a manditory fine for killing a rockfish in an illegal activity, of any kind.

point three: generally : Judges will not grant a second PBJ having seen that that individual had a similar offense previously.

point four: a PBJ does not mean there was no fine. Many Judges Grant PBJ with a fine that they feel is appropriate.
    I defended two cases this year where the Judge granted PBJ and ordered a fine, in the hundreds of dollars.

point five, the Judge may have fined the violator in question for each fish, we did not get that fact.
    I would hope so.

point six: if we do not like what the legislators in Maryland are doing, we the people can tell the legislators, what we want.

point seven: we the people can change the laws of Maryland to require term limits. I for one would favor that.

point eight: A referendum is a voting situation where the voters directly cast their ballots for or against a particular proposition.

Thank you for considering these thoughts. TomGlenBurnie

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TomGlenBurnie View Post
    point six: if we do not like what the legislators in Maryland are doing, we the people can tell the legislators, what we want.

point seven: we the people can change the laws of Maryland to require term limits. I for one would favor that.
    Id agree in an ideal world. Unfortunately, in order to be heard, you have to make substantial campaign contributions to the legislators in question. The charter and commercial interests in the state are organized and well funded. That's going to beat a bunch of random PO'ed rec fisherman any day.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by drumsfield View Post
    Some guy takes poaches 30 fish (29 if you count the 1 fish he's allowed to keep) everyone on this thread is up in arms about the one guy and his 29 fish. Meanwhile the charters (250+) taking thousands more per week are subject to different rules than the rest of the recreational fishermen even though they and their passengers are considered recreational and can take double the "legal" limit due to some manufactured "loophole". If that's the not definition of hypocrisy I don't know what is.

edit: spawning stocks are down again. What's the point of lowering the limits when it only applies to half the the guys on the water?
    Thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately, I cant agree. Problem is, its not just one guy and his 29 illegal fish. Its hundreds of guys taking that many fish or more. You can go to ANY popular fishing spot and sit for a few hours and I guarantee you will see somebody taking what they aren't allowed to.

I don't think anyone is up in arms about this one guy, theyre up in arms about poachers in general, doubly pissed that when the poachers are caught, they barely get a slap on the wrist.

Blog Entries

Drumsfield kiss my patriot ass you fricken ass hole . To think I put my ass on line to protect people like you makes me sick .

Quote Originally Posted by O sea D View Post
    Drumsfield kiss my patriot ass you fricken ass hole . To think I put my ass on line to protect people like you makes me sick .
    Who are you? Rambo?

I can't say I disagree with drumsfields' sentiment, but I think a correlation between the charter take & poaching impact is a stretch.
    I've long said that I think that recreational poaching is a far bigger problem than most people believe, including fishery managers.
    On the topic of the poachers being Latino, there's an argument to be made that they make a disproportionate number of citations because they fish in areas that make them easy targets for enforcement. They don't have boats or private waterfront.

O sea D, I'm not sure what drumsfield said that warrants that response. But, you have a right to speak your mind, just as he does.
    As a patriot, I'm surprised you don't support that. Agree or not.
    But hey, thanks reminding us why TF is going in the crapper. It's obviously still not a place for civil dialogue.

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast