Fishing Report Quick Sandy Point trip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Quick Sandy Point trip

Had to squeeze in a quick trip today - weather just too nice to work. Took my Black Lab - Ruckus as crew. We left house at 11:00 am - plan to fish the incoming current predicted about 12:30 to 6:00. Everything was going good until brake lights on Rt 50 near Rowe Blvd. Accident on other side of Severn river bridge.

Lost about 30 minutes and then pit stop at Anglers for bloodworms and ice. Plan was to catch a mess of Perch - than go troll 4 rods for Rock. Launched and let Ruckus swim for few minutes - no way to keep a Lab out of the water.

Took some looking with meter from 15 feet out to 30 on both sides on bridge before found marks in 25 feet. Anchored and got a few small Perch and then Spot started to bite. Water is 68* - once I had about 10 Spot , decided to troll another day.

Ruckus likes fresh fillet of Perch so I cleaned / skinned a few. Sea gull swooped down for the remains - Ruckus eyed them up. Ran north - Ruckus likes the new Aqua Traction on floor , no more sliding around.

Had a gentle breeze from south west - made anchoring in 30 feet easy. Set out two rods - one no weight and one with 1/2 oz. 1/2 oz rod got hit but no hook up. Rebaited as a 40-45 foot trawler just moised at 5-6 knots on by about 20 feet to port. Couple waved - I could have cast easily to the boat.

No harm but no idea why so close to me. Unweighted rod got hit but Rock dropped the Spot - likely small one. Ruckus was just chilling out watching me fish.

Next Rock hit 1/2 oz rod and stayed hooked. Nice 26 - 27 incher in the box. Pulled anchor and ran back to ramp, Ruckus had barked telling me he had to pee.

Easy run back and let Ruckus pee and do 5-6 retrieve the stick at the ramp. Put him on towel in truck and put boat on trailer - easy ride home.

Looking like it will be a good fall for fishing - water is clean and temperature not too low yet.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Best mate you could ask for. Nice rock too..... Gary

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I am looking forward to fishing this fall, I remarked to the wife recently of how clean the water was. We are seeing jellyfish with 2-3ft tentacles regularly, not so in recent years past in these regions. The guys are catching keepers on a nightly basis from the shorelines here in my community. We have seen a constant improvement since Beth Steel closed and improvements in waste water treatment. We still have a ways to go but at least there is hope......

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nice report Skip. Enjoy the details and methods for success.
    ACG

Thanks for the report Skip. Have you tried using Bloodworm FishBites? We have fished them side-by-side with bloodworms and our experience is that the FishBites work just as well as bloodworms and the FishBites sure do keep better.

- ron

Nice job Skip, I'm hoping for a good fall bite. I'm on vacation this week so I'm hoping to get out a few days during the week.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by whalerron View Post
    Thanks for the report Skip. Have you tried using Bloodworm FishBites? We have fished them side-by-side with bloodworms and our experience is that the FishBites work just as well as bloodworms and the FishBites sure do keep better.

- ron
    Ron, I have had my best results with fishbites when the water is warm.......... Gary

Nice fish and appreciate the report. Ruckus sounds just right as a black lab name!
    Why someone decides to roll by close to a boat that is clearly fishing is beyond me - at least they did so slowly unlike others I have seen. Feels like I have had more “close encounters” this year than any other, but it’s been a surreal year in general.
    Last edited by TDog3; 10-17-2020 at 08:54 AM.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    Ron, I have had my best results with fishbites when the water is warm.......... Gary
    +1 on warme(er) water for fishbites. That said, Fishbites must be listening as they have a "fast acting" formulation for water below 65*. I however have no experience with them.

Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com

Thanks Skip for the report. I miss seeing you this year at Sandy. Hope to start fishing south not much in the UB now.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast