Question Winterizing Suzuki 60 hp DF69A 4 stroke
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Winterizing Suzuki 60 hp DF69A 4 stroke

All

With the Jetski, I just change the oil, give her a wash, spray anti-corrosion everywhere, and put a cube heater in the hull set on freeze and cover her up. It has a closed cooling system with antifreeze so it's just like your car.

Now that I have the Boat, first in 30-ish years, I am looking for info on winterizing.

The last boats were IO's that I had to prepare for zero degrees (Buffalo, NY). Wouldn't consider getting out much after mid-November (Salmon Season).

What do you guys do, if there is the possibility of getting out in November or December, or later? Does the Engine drain by itself so if there is a cold snap, I don't have to be concerned? When I put it up, I will flush it with antifreeze.

Thoughts and thanks
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have a 4 stroke Yamaha 250 which I never winterize. Just top off the fuel tank and put fuel stabilizer in the tank. If possible run the motor once a month just to get fuel moving through the system. I’m not sure if you can run your engine on muffs. Check your manual. Store the engine trimmed all the way down so water drains out of the lower unit.

Thank you D....

Always hate winterizing because as soon you put all the tools away, 2 weeks of great weather. Lol

Yes, I can run it on muffs and I also have a Flush Port.

I think I will just change the Engine Oil and Gear Lube and hope for good weather. If I cover her tight, I am assured of it.

Just checking because I cracked the block on a straight 6 in an old Caravelle because I didn't get to her in time.

Thanks again
    Steve

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Store engine in down position in below freezing temp, Helps water drain out.. some I know check lower unit for water in gearcase.. ( loosen plug Just enough to let any water drain ( do not remove) I change oils in spring as I use boat till Jan..

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

If you can do it use ethanol fee fuel for the winter storage. A few teaspoons of water per gallon and a temperature drop below freezing and the ethanol will separate out and go to the bottom of the tank once it does that it will never go back into solution. Shaking it up will make it be an emulsion.

Charlie/Tom

Thanks.

I will be getting to the fluids mid Nov. Will be trying to get out Wednesday and Thursday. Trying to run as much of the gas out as possible, then top up. Don't know of any ethanol-free in the area otherwise I'd always use it.

I am the 2nd owner. Engine has 50-ish hours. Don't want to think how old the gas is. I can't even drain some and put it in the truck. I work from home for almost 2 years now and don't go thru gas like I did.

Steve

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I get mine from Phillips in Gloucester.

I don't mind a drive, but that is a little far. I'm near Oceania Naval Airstation, Virginia Beach

Will have to check, but I think there is a race gas station somewhere on Indian River, Norfolk.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sundancer01 View Post
    I don't mind a drive, but that is a little far. I'm near Oceania Naval Airstation, Virginia Beach

Will have to check, but I think there is a race gas station somewhere on Indian River, Norfolk.
    I believe all RaceTrack gas stations as well as most Walmart gas stations carry it. If you can find a Walmart it will be alot cheaper per gallon.

Ealby

Thanks for the tip.

I'll take a ride up VB Blvd soon. There's a Racetrack east of Newtown. Worth the short trip. Walmart in Hampton seems to advertise ethanol-free. Friend lives in Yorktown, might ask him to wander over and take a look.

Thanks again.
    Steve

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast