Tidal Fish Forum banner

Winterizing Suzuki 60 hp DF69A 4 stroke

Question 
4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  sundancer01 
#1 ·
All

With the Jetski, I just change the oil, give her a wash, spray anti-corrosion everywhere, and put a cube heater in the hull set on freeze and cover her up. It has a closed cooling system with antifreeze so it's just like your car.

Now that I have the Boat, first in 30-ish years, I am looking for info on winterizing.

The last boats were IO's that I had to prepare for zero degrees (Buffalo, NY). Wouldn't consider getting out much after mid-November (Salmon Season).

What do you guys do, if there is the possibility of getting out in November or December, or later? Does the Engine drain by itself so if there is a cold snap, I don't have to be concerned? When I put it up, I will flush it with antifreeze.

Thoughts and thanks
Steve

#2 ·
I have a 4 stroke Yamaha 250 which I never winterize. Just top off the fuel tank and put fuel stabilizer in the tank. If possible run the motor once a month just to get fuel moving through the system. I’m not sure if you can run your engine on muffs. Check your manual. Store the engine trimmed all the way down so water drains out of the lower unit.

#3 ·
Thank you D....

Always hate winterizing because as soon you put all the tools away, 2 weeks of great weather. Lol

Yes, I can run it on muffs and I also have a Flush Port.

I think I will just change the Engine Oil and Gear Lube and hope for good weather. If I cover her tight, I am assured of it.

Just checking because I cracked the block on a straight 6 in an old Caravelle because I didn't get to her in time.

Thanks again
Steve

#5 ·
If you can do it use ethanol fee fuel for the winter storage. A few teaspoons of water per gallon and a temperature drop below freezing and the ethanol will separate out and go to the bottom of the tank once it does that it will never go back into solution. Shaking it up will make it be an emulsion.

#6 ·
Charlie/Tom

Thanks.

I will be getting to the fluids mid Nov. Will be trying to get out Wednesday and Thursday. Trying to run as much of the gas out as possible, then top up. Don't know of any ethanol-free in the area otherwise I'd always use it.

I am the 2nd owner. Engine has 50-ish hours. Don't want to think how old the gas is. I can't even drain some and put it in the truck. I work from home for almost 2 years now and don't go thru gas like I did.

Steve

#15 ·
Knotts Island is probably closest to you, but there are stations on the Eastern Shore (Royal Farms, for example, next to Kiptopeake State Park) that might be a better bet than Hampton - I know they have non-ethanol.
Pure Gas is a good resource for finding stations, but I'd call ahead - I went looking for a non-ethanol station near Smithfield that was listed on Pure Gas, but had not sold gas for years.

#16 ·
If it turns out that Knotts Island has the ethanol free gas I am likely to drag the boat there. If not then I'll have to get a large tank and take a trip up over to the Eastern shore.

Either way I don't mind the ride I'm kind of itching to get out of the house.

Thanks
Steve

#17 ·
Just an update gents.

All went well. I am sure that the mild winter helped.

About a month ago i changed the oil/filter. The filter is mounted sideways. I made a ducktape 'channel/funnel' to direct most of the oil away. I also punched a hole in the filter so it would drain. Nothing... Removed the filter and it was empty. I wonder if they drain out over time. I will admit that i didnt warm the engine up first. Anyway, the job was easy.

I have very little true history on the boat. Bought it used with very few hours (~50). I also didnt get out much last year so the majority of the gas was over a year old. During the oil change i pumped out 7 of the 20 gallons. The gas looks great. Dont know what the OO did to preserve it, if anything. Will now be able to top it off with fresh

Just wanna thank you again for the advise
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.