Fishing Report Rock fish3

Thread: Rock fish3

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Default Rock fish3

2 of us left the south river at 9:00 and headed south to poplar Island found birds pods were everywhere we started jigging each pod nothing but drinks we stop and headed back . This is my 8th time out and got skunk but I will be back

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rockfish.3 View Post
    2 of us left the south river at 9:00 and headed south to poplar Island found birds pods were everywhere we started jigging each pod nothing but drinks we stop and headed back . This is my 8th time out and got skunk but I will be back
    Whenever I've fished under the birds that's all I got were dinks. I now stay on the shoreline. Your persistence will pay off, keep at it.

Mike

Blog Entries

I will try it thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Big birds, big fish. Never fish under turns. Find the big gulls and gannets........ Gary

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks for your report, I always enjoy them. The South has been holding keepers along the shoreline. Today’s 21” victim:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8FAABD56-F6A6-45CB-9D47-9D4BBE76DAEE_1603932906819.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	257449

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Just a suggestion: Use the birds to locate the fish, and then look for marks away from the working birds. When you see stacks of arches, or even an arch or two, cut your motor and vertical jig. Larger fish tend to wait outside of the schools and feed on the scraps that the dinks produce. It doesn't always produce, but we have had success with keepers this season doing this. Keep the reports coming, and tight lines!

Don

What Don said. Birds put you in an active area then scout around.

Seems to be more dinks than years past. Hopefully be good for future years. When I find better fish they do not stay around long.

Like another post said it's great if you can find productive shoreline. My spots in south river have not produced like years past. It's always a choice to search new shoreline or go into bay where there will always be schools of unknown dinkage.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

On Tuesday, found teen size rock working under birds between South and West rivers. Landed one 22" on a #17 Toni. This fish's stomach contained 4" menhaden and 3" silversides.

Default Poplar Island

Last Tuesday (Oct. 20) we found a big pod of mid-20s fish under big nasty herring gulls. It was the first time in years that I saw mid-20s fish breaking the surface. Went back Thursday and scratched out two keepers by trolling for 6 hours. The charter fleet was there this time. You never know. I am starting to think that there is no such thing as spot burning. A place that is hot in the morning can be dead by the afternoon and vice versa.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

“On Tuesday, found teen size rock working under birds between South and West rivers. Landed one 22" on a #17 Toni. This fish's stomach contained 4" menhaden and 3" silversides.” Glad to see someone else checking stomach contents of their catch RCWoods. That Toni spoons apparently matched the hatch. One mid 20’s striper last fall had a dozen 1 to 2.5” Blue crabs in its stomach yet still hit a crab colored jigging spoon. ACG

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements