Question Braid or mono preferred for trolling tandems?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Braid or mono preferred for trolling tandems?

I read some of the details on this board regarding trolling this fall. Wondered whether braid is required to troll and get good hook-sets with lines that are far out. Anything over 120’ seems far out to me. Any perspectives on this? ACG

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I think it is about 50/ 50........ Gary

Thank you Gary. Braid advertisements use to state non-stretch was a big advantage over mono. Maybe not so much of a factor. One difference i do see it it fishes deeper than heavy mono with large diameter. ACG

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ACG View Post
    Thank you Gary. Braid advertisements use to state non-stretch was a big advantage over mono. Maybe not so much of a factor. One difference i do see it it fishes deeper than heavy mono with large diameter. ACG
    It does fish deeper as it is thinner and cuts through the water better. It can be ugly if you get a tangle though. I think the main advantage of braid is you can get more on the spool and it is moe sensitive for jigging. I haven't trolled in over 30 years but I always used mono with and two of wire line . You don't see that anymore...... Gary
    Last edited by crabby and son; 10-29-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Braid on trolling set ups is a waste of money. What Gary says is true but you can use a bigger sinker to get to the desired depth and reduce amount of line let out. For years I used wire line. It reduced the amount of line you had to let out. And during trophy season with the amount if trollers out there I want the least amount of line out that I can get away with.

As far as braid goes for jigging I fished the rips with a well known charter capt. and he said I needed braid on my baitcaster reel. Three hours later he said he shouldn’t have said it because I matched him fish for fish during the trip. It was my first jigging trip to the rips to boot. Except for flounder I know of no other saltwater fish in Md. that you need sensitivity for. Many may disagree but that’s my opinion.

Like many others I bought into the braid is better hype. I put braid on every reel I own. Primarily to increase casting distance. I think it did accomplish that. I use baitcasters and when I get the occasional over run it’s a super headache.

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I only thing I don't run braid on are my surf casting reels. Run co-polymer line on them. Cast better than braid without the mystery break offs common when fishing braid in the surf.

I run #80 braid (same diameter as #30 Mono) on all my trolling rods simply because it's cheaper in the long run than changing out mono once or twice a year.

I run #15 braid on my spinning/jigging tackle. Cheaper, handles better (no slinkees) with better sensitivity.

I prefer braid for trolling. The very low stretch helps in getting good hook ups - especially when trolling slowly.

It does run deeper with less weight than mono. I like being able to feel the shad tail paddling with 150 feet of line out. With mono - no way.

The braid is great if using down planers - especially high speed ( 6-9 knots ).

The braid also holds up much longer than mono. I like to use 300 feet ( 100 yds ) of braid on top off mono backing. Rare a fish pulls line off to get into mono but if it does - still have a lot of line on reel. I do keep my drags very tight.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I use braid on my heavy boat rods and hi-vis mono on most everything else.

Fellow TFs thanks for all your perspectives. All good points. I have some braid on a bait caster that i vertically jig spoon fish. Like the sensitivity there and solid hook ups. Usually use 30” of mono leader and ballbearing swivel at the spoon. Seems then sensitivity is biggest plus With braid. Other pluses you mention maybe longevity and depth in trolling without weight. And being able to see the lures ‘work’ by watching the vibrations transmitted to rod tips. I think mono holds up better when casting alot of heavy lures - to the point about mistery loses On surf casting. Lost a few musky plugs that went sailing off on a cast because braid frayed under the stress. Downside is backlash or overspin on baitcaster / trolling reels will be ugly mess / time waster to untangle. I bought some orange braid and a spoon of yellow and chartures/black ‘tracer’ braid to help with visbilty. May help with control when trolling multiple rods next to each other and making turns. I hate it when braid snags or worst yet wraps on a motor. Carry a short piece of log baseball bat to wrap snagged braid to avoid cut hands. Thanks again for your posts. ACG

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    It does fish deeper as it is thinner and cuts through the water better. It can be ugly if you get a tangle though.
    I could not have put that better myself. This about some it up IMHO. I top all of my trolling rods with 150 to 300 feet of braid, typically Power Pro. I do 150 feet for the Spanish mac rigs (those go out 70 to 80 feet tops) and 300 feet for everything else.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast