Question 2016 Ram Cummins

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default 2016 Ram Cummins

Does anyone have a 2016 or 2017 Ram Cummins? I am looking at a used one and was wondering cab noise on the hwy. I did not buy my fathers 2010 duramax off of him because it was just too loud in the cab on the hwy. It was a school bus. I am told newer diesels are much quieter. Are you happy with your truck. The one I am looking at has 38k on it with little towing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I can't speak to how quiet the Ram is. I haven't been in one. The Duramax has gotten much quieter since that 2010. I have a 2017 Duramax and it is pretty quiet and civilized. I am very happy with my truck. Unless it's towing something heavy up a hill it isn't much louder than the GMC Yukon suv it replaced.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have a 16' Ford 6.7 an can go thru drive thru ordering with no issues but my old 99' 7.3 I had to shut off. The older cummins you can hear along ways away coming but not sure in the cab. I pull 40 ft fifth and don't really hear much motor noise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Greg

My neighbor’s 2015 Duramax is quiet enough to carry on a normal conversation with the hood up. Much different than his 2003.

I think most of the Cummins seem to have that normal “diesel sound”.

Chris

Google why are diesels getting quieter. It’s in the newer fuel delivery system and electronics.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by iFishMD View Post
    Does anyone have a 2016 or 2017 Ram Cummins? I am looking at a used one and was wondering cab noise on the hwy. I did not buy my fathers 2010 duramax off of him because it was just too loud in the cab on the hwy. It was a school bus. I am told newer diesels are much quieter. Are you happy with your truck. The one I am looking at has 38k on it with little towing.
    You will love that Cummins. They are pretty quiet with lots of torque and great fuel mileage. The weak link would have to be the DEF system which I would delete immediately.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Parker 2520 View Post
    You will love that Cummins. They are pretty quiet with lots of torque and great fuel mileage. The weak link would have to be the DEF system which I would delete immediately.

I am considering the risks with diesel. I will not delete a truck if I get it. I need it to be reliable stock or I will stick with gas. Cannot resell deleted anymore (no trade in and a new owner would have to put all emissions systems back on to pass inspection)

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by iFishMD View Post
    I am considering the risks with diesel. I will not delete a truck if I get it. I need it to be reliable stock or I will stick with gas. Cannot resell deleted anymore (no trade in and a new owner would have to put all emissions systems back on to pass inspection)
    I've run those Dodge diesels for work for 20 years, 3500's and 4500's the 3500's had problem's with tie rod ends, U-joints and wheel bearings, too light. The 4500's took care of most of those issues. I only had trouble with that damn emissions B.S. I bought a new 2500 in '16 and went with the 6.4 gas. No expensive Fuel filters, DEF, 15 quarts of oil, diesel fuel additives. I really like it. I pull heavy all the time with no problem. I run a '17 Ford 3500 for work now and it's just an ok truck, I was always a ford guy too. The exhaust brake doesn't come close to that dodge. I would look at the big gas jobs especially if you're not towing long distance all the time.

My neighbors Duramax 2500 went to Ca last year pulling a 43’ 5th wheel in the summer including a path through Death Valley. Over the 10 weeks and with side trips I think they logged around 13,000 miles. Worst thing that happened, I think they had to replace the batteries.

They planning on repeating the trip this coming year except will hit the northern half of Ca, Oregon and Wash and come back via a northern route.

Over the last 17 years going to OC camping I’ve seen the trend change from a Ford tow vehicle dominated industry to one that GM controls. Dodge still has a share but doesn’t appear to be huge.

The used late models Duramaxes aren’t cheap, but there’s a reason for it.

I drive a Tundra so this isn’t brand bias, just observations.

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements