Tidal Fish Forum banner

Another Once in a Lifetime Fish

Fishing Report 
5K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Gerald 
#1 ·
I know like military intelligence, right?

I hit the Georgetown Area of the Potomac River for Blue Cats again on Friday the 27th with my two nephews and brother trying to get them all a monster. Well it almost worked, my older nephew grabbed the lucky rod and landed a 53 pound Blue Cat and we caught a few more small eater size 5-12 pounds. My younger nephew and brother tag teamed on one that eventually broke the 50# leader at the knot. I promise you that fish was equally big.

On Saturday I finished taking care of the stupid Christmas lights, like working on trailer lights, never easy and raked some leaves for my dad. I still had the gumption to go back out on Sunday, since the Ravens were off and in obvious stupid mode.

I hit the Georgetown area again and on the first anchor, landed a 33 pounder and some smalls and moved. I caught a 31 and nothing else and just as I was bringing in the rods and reaching for the last rod, the line started moving.

Pulling back on the circle hook it felt good, but halfway to the surface of 40' +/- minus water, he realized he was hooked. After 2-3 hard runs and some tug of war a big fish came to the surface. I got him in the net and saw that massive head and thought "yeah really nice fish". That was until I tried to lift it over the side. On the third try, he flopped on the deck and I realized I had another once in a lifetime fish.

81 pounds of trophy catfish. Yes, that is on a scale!! I use a folded tarp that I have strings tied to each corner to weigh the big fish. Keeps them from being suspended vertically.

I say another one because almost exactly 2 years ago I caught one estimated in the mid 80 range, because I only had a 50 pound scale at the time. It was after that fish that I bought a 110 pound scale.

The foggy picture in coveralls is the first fish from 2019, the other 3 from Sunday. I am still shooting for three digits!!

Chris

Sky Water Marines Military person Cloud
Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Bumper Fender
Sky Fisherman Hat Recreational fishing Fish
Sky Vertebrate Fish Fisherman Wildlife biologist

See less See more
#5 ·
Chris- Definitely a denizen of the deep!!:eek2: Congrats.:clapping2: Do you keep them when they're 40+ #s? If so, what are some things found in stomach? Are you a cut fish 4 bait angler? Thanks in advance-

If catfish nuggets were Gold, you'd have Fort Knox right there!:hysterical::hysterical:

Dougeeboy:fishing2:

#11 ·
Thanks everyone.

I’ll try to address what I can.

I fish and crab alone ALOT, so setting and running a trotline or netting fish, clearing rods is second nature to me. It keeps the unexpected from happening.

Yes cut bait. Mullet will work, I prefer fresh gizzard shad when available, although the 53 on Friday hit it frozen. Once ice is on the water, frozen can actually be better because shad naturally get stuck in the ice, freeze and die. This fish actually took a fresh piece of mud carp my neighbor gave me on Friday. Winter fish seem to prefer nuggets and this hit a 2” square of carp fillet.

I only keep a few under 10 pounds. Sunday I brought home 5 for my neighbor. Any bigger and they start tasting strong to me. 5-7 # seems about ideal and make excellent table fare and Gary makes an outstanding smoked version.

Current state record is 84 and I know of at least 3 fish that have broken that and potentially a 4th depending on the weight of my first one. All of them released.

For the sake of the report, I don’t want to go down the invasive argument here, so please don’t.

Chris

#19 ·
Gary you might be close.

I've tried to find consistent charts and there are just too many variables.

One of the biggest hurdles is actually finding a good sample size of fish this size. Alot of them use length and weight in their charts and that is where the differences come in.

Just like people, length, girth and age are not always in line and it appears with these fish there is a lot of variation with habitat, water conditions, impoundment, food availibility, etc. Alot of info comes from mid west or southern lakes and rivers which are not the same as the Chesapeake Tribs.

Most places talk about 8-10" Gizzard Shad being big. The Potomac and surrounding waters offer 12-15" gizzards among a alot of other things. A virtual buffet allowing them them to get big earlier and faster.

Based on what I have found, I would easily say that fish is 20 years old, maybe 25.

This 2010 VA study shows the variation, even between VA rivers.

https://dwr.virginia.gov/wp-content/uploads/2010-Tidal-Blue-Catfish-Status-Report.pdf

Chris

#20 ·
Genetics plays a big role too. I caught a tagged blue cat in DC waters measuring 29" that was tagged two years ago near Ft Washington that measured 27". I spoke with Mary Groves at DNR and she stated that was very unusual for that little growth at a young age but it happens. From being a MD recreational representative on NOAA's baywide bluecat action team, I have learned alot about the blue cats from scientists and biologists but there is much more to learn about them. I still think an 80 pound blue cat is 30 years old........ Gary

#21 ·
Congrats. That is a true monster. Incredible beast. Havent targeted them. They werent around when I lived down there in PG. I heard the 4-5 lbs ers are very good eating. I have always targeted channels after the perch run and cnr rock for the freezer. Chester and Lower susky. Havent eatin a flathead yet tho Ive caught them below and above the dam while bass fishing. Never felt like messing with them esp when wade fishing. I know some guys on here (and used to be on here) target them big time huge ones below the dam.

#22 ·
Flatheads are better than Blues and the bigger the better.

Bear with me.

The Flatheads have a two part fillet like most fish, however the top half is like a deer backstrap or pork loin. The bigger the fish, the bigger the loin. The lower half is more like a normal fillet but contains more fat. It’s better cleaned up and fried, just dry the meat first.

Fillet them out, marinate the top half in your marinade of choice and grill it. VERY HARD to overcook and the longer you cook it, the more firm it becomes. It’s very dense and not real flaky and can be cut with a knife.

Using an Italian style marinade, the overall flavor is similar to a cross between chicken breast and pork loin.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.