Fishing Report Another Once in a Lifetime Fish - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks everyone.

I’ll try to address what I can.

I fish and crab alone ALOT, so setting and running a trotline or netting fish, clearing rods is second nature to me. It keeps the unexpected from happening.

Yes cut bait. Mullet will work, I prefer fresh gizzard shad when available, although the 53 on Friday hit it frozen. Once ice is on the water, frozen can actually be better because shad naturally get stuck in the ice, freeze and die. This fish actually took a fresh piece of mud carp my neighbor gave me on Friday. Winter fish seem to prefer nuggets and this hit a 2” square of carp fillet.

I only keep a few under 10 pounds. Sunday I brought home 5 for my neighbor. Any bigger and they start tasting strong to me. 5-7 # seems about ideal and make excellent table fare and Gary makes an outstanding smoked version.

Current state record is 84 and I know of at least 3 fish that have broken that and potentially a 4th depending on the weight of my first one. All of them released.

For the sake of the report, I don’t want to go down the invasive argument here, so please don’t.

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Yahoo!!! You Rock!
    Thanks for the report.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Congratulations Chris. There is no way I could lift an 80 pound catfish like you did. I havent broke 50 pounds this year but I fish for the eaters any more .......... Gary

What a monster...good report and thanks. 100lbs may not be far off...

Capt Mike

Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com

done working: Outstanding catch, that's the largest catfish I ever saw. Congratulations!

Nice fish!

Any idea of the age of that fish? Nice to release a fish of that stature.

Awesome fish!
    Are they good to eat when they are that big? (never mind - missed your reply on that)
    Great catch! Good luck on the triple digit fish.

An 80 pound blue catfish is 30 years old or better........... Gary

Gary you might be close.

I’ve tried to find consistent charts and there are just too many variables.

One of the biggest hurdles is actually finding a good sample size of fish this size. Alot of them use length and weight in their charts and that is where the differences come in.

Just like people, length, girth and age are not always in line and it appears with these fish there is a lot of variation with habitat, water conditions, impoundment, food availibility, etc. Alot of info comes from mid west or southern lakes and rivers which are not the same as the Chesapeake Tribs.

Most places talk about 8-10” Gizzard Shad being big. The Potomac and surrounding waters offer 12-15” gizzards among a alot of other things. A virtual buffet allowing them them to get big earlier and faster.

Based on what I have found, I would easily say that fish is 20 years old, maybe 25.

This 2010 VA study shows the variation, even between VA rivers.

https://dwr.virginia.gov/wp-content/...tus-Report.pdf

Chris

Genetics plays a big role too. I caught a tagged blue cat in DC waters measuring 29" that was tagged two years ago near Ft Washington that measured 27". I spoke with Mary Groves at DNR and she stated that was very unusual for that little growth at a young age but it happens. From being a MD recreational representative on NOAA's baywide bluecat action team, I have learned alot about the blue cats from scientists and biologists but there is much more to learn about them. I still think an 80 pound blue cat is 30 years old........ Gary

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast