Fishing Report Kayak Fishing Speckle Sea Trout 12-11-2020
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Kayak Fishing Speckle Sea Trout 12-11-2020

I went to the fish for speckle sea trout on the Elizabeth River. Myself and three other kayakers launched from the Elizabeth River Park boat ramp. We fished the outgoing tide and a short part of the incoming tide in the early afternoon. We all came home with a mess of fish. Most of the take home catch was speckle sea trout. I took home trout and a bonus 23 inch rockfish that I caught in the morning. We had a great day on the water. This would be an 7 hour round trip to and from the launch, not counting fishing time. This would also be my last fishing outing of the year..

https://youtu.be/6IolRQaraZM

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Outstanding...

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Great fishing report. I used to fish there for winter speckled trout. Better fishing there than my winter trout trips at the Indian river/Mosquito Lagoon in Fla. I didn't fish quite where you were , we also caught Redfish too .
    Last edited by Capt.Nick; 12-29-2020 at 11:28 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by moc View Post
    I went to the fish for speckle sea trout on the Elizabeth River. Myself and three other kayakers launched from the Elizabeth River Park boat ramp. We fished the outgoing tide and a short part of the incoming tide in the early afternoon. We all came home with a mess of fish. Most of the take home catch was speckle sea trout. I took home trout and a bonus 23 inch rockfish that I caught in the morning. We had a great day on the water. This would be an 7 hour round trip to and from the launch, not counting fishing time. This would also be my last fishing outing of the year..

https://youtu.be/6IolRQaraZM
    Incredible year for speckled trout in Virginia's waters. Just hope there's no major cold kill this year as the trout haven't moved out.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

When I fished there, the power plant was still running ,keeping the water warmer in winter . This was around 10 years ago. It's a 5 hr. drive, 250 mi. for me each way . I fished with 2 well known guides the first 2 trips to learn the ropes for Trout and Redfish fishing there and stayed in a motel. Both guides fished different areas with different techniques for each species. I wouldn't have learned what I did without fishing with them. The trout were running between 19-23 in. and the Reds were running around 3-7 # at the time. The guide told me that once the coal power plant was forced to close, the trout that were in there during a winter cold spell would likely die. There were some winters when many trout went belly up after a cold spell. It's a good place to fish by Kayak in protected waters . Hope the fishing stays good and the winter stays mild . Good luck to all of you that go.
    Last edited by Capt.Nick; 01-01-2021 at 06:55 AM.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I haven't been in this forum for several years due to some health issues and I have been out my kayak for some time.
    I didn't realize the power plant has been shut down for 10 yrs. so I guess it was before that since I fished there also.
    Every time I'm on Rt 64 crossing the E.R. Bridge traveling down to OBX I look down at the river and the Marina Boat Ramp (where we launched in those day) it brings back lots of memories of the good trout fishing. I sure miss that place. (I'm only looking if my wife is driving)
    I hope to be back in my kayak in the spring and on the E.River again at some point and I hope to find a new place to launch the old O.K.Trident .
    Some one mentioned a park boat ramp I guess I can locate it on a Google Map search.

Top Rack Dry Storage used to let you use the beach besides their building to launch but it's been a couple of years since I've done it and rules may have changed. They are the closest to that area around what used to be the infamous "Hot Ditch" less than a mile away.

Other than that there's a city owned launch at the Great Bridge Locks park and the Jordan Bridge park but they're both about 4 - 5 miles from the 64 High Rise bridge. There is pretty good fishing inbetween those two spots all the to the high rise though.

10. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements