Need some Help Rockfish catch question

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Rockfish catch question

I see that rockfish management focuses on poundage of catch, so much for recs and so much for commercial fisherman. But the bulk of the commercial catch in Maryland is in January and February. Does catching 10 5-pound fish in September have the same impact on the population as 1 50-pound female full of eggs caught in January or February? I am not a marine biologist but I can’t believe that is good management. Any thoughts by someone who knows something about the rockfish biology?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I'm not a marine biologist but those 10- 5lb. fish are one day going to produce many more eggs than that 1 50lb. female. The whole industry needs to be looked at. Allowing for the bulk removal of any species of fish in the bay/ocean needs to be addressed. Everybody needs to do their part to insure survival of the rockfish.

Mike

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

My opinion is that any fish that reaches breeding age, should be rewarded by being hands off. Emphasis on THOSE THAT REACH IT.

This is what has worked for other species.

Take the 5# and let the 50# make more 5#. It’s a good cycle and provides for both a very harvestable population as well as a trophy population for picture taking and bragging purposes.

Take the breeders out and you cut the chain.

Yes, taking the smalls don’t allow them to grow up, but there are those that do make it to the 28” or so breeding length/age that have to be protected.

And before somebody bashes me on the length, do your own research on the age of sexual maturity and then look at the length and age charts and tell me at what length a rockfish is considered to be sexually mature. I promise you, at 28” they are “of age”.

Chris
    Last edited by done workin; 01-06-2021 at 03:33 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mremmfish View Post
    I'm not a marine biologist but those 10- 5lb. fish are one day going to produce many more eggs than that 1 50lb. female. The whole industry needs to be looked at. Allowing for the bulk removal of any species of fish in the bay/ocean needs to be addressed. Everybody needs to do their part to insure survival of the rockfish.

Mike
    Fish more pan fish.

Blog Entries

"Remember, a dead fish can float downstream, but it takes a live one to swim upstream."W.C. Fields.jpg LOL! Getting ready to go after some pan fish right now.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

FWIW: Md commercial has a 36 inch max. size limit.

There has been some poaching - ie: Cutting inch or two off tail to " shorten " a bigger Rock.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by andypat View Post
    Fish more pan fish.
    I love fishing for perch. After my allowable stripers I stop and target perch. When they are plentiful, I try to only keep 10" and bigger. I can still fill a cooler with them.

Mike

What came first? The chicken or the Egg.

Small fish = more spawning potential in the future
    Big fish = Already spawned a bunch of times but can spawn again now

Edit to give my college coach's definition of "potential" = haven't done squat yet....
    Last edited by iFishMD; 01-06-2021 at 07:50 PM.

When the striper fishery is in decline as it is, every fish matters........... Gary

Blog Entries

The summer season closure will be in July this year instead of Aug. so that should help save many wasted floaters . They school up more in July and many fishermen complained that the weather was hotter in July and that it should have been closed in July instead. They will get their wish and help save what's left of our Striped Bass.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast