Need some Help Rockfish catch question - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Nick View Post
    The summer season closure will be in July this year instead of Aug. so that should help save many wasted floaters . They school up more in July and many fishermen complained that the weather was hotter in July and that it should have been closed in July instead. They will get their wish and help save what's left of our Striped Bass.
    Capt.Nick,

They need to do more than that to save the Striped Bass. I'm ok with 1 fish per person across the board charters included, and a minimum of 19". No trophy season to let the females have a more productive spawn. You know you can't enforce all the other requirements out there, not enough resources.

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Splitting hairs between July and August temps, both water and air is BS. Fish are schooled the whole time.

Close it the whole 2 months if you really want to do something and maybe even early Sept.

Chris

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Recreational anglers have taken enough of the reductions. Before we start digging into the individual access to fish for oneself any further I think we need to look at our massive commercial harvest, who took little reduction, for any further reductions needed.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

It's not cool to make other people suffer the consequences of your actions.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

It's not cool to always blame others for what happens to the fisheries either. They need to shut down the harvest of rockfish, period. It worked last time.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Gorge View Post
    It's not cool to always blame others for what happens to the fisheries either. They need to shut down the harvest of rockfish, period. It worked last time.
    Every state they migrate through on the eastern seaboard needs to have the same rules in effect. It's not fair to Maryland fishermen if the other states are allowed to catch what we can't. No spring trophy season and a 1 fish limit per person per day, 19" or bigger, for all the states. It will bounce back. You also need stricter limits on commercial harvesting. If they send them out of our states yet we get penalized for it, what good is having that great fishery where we live?

Mike

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Gorge View Post
    Unless the criticism is justified.
    Which, in this case it is.

I'm reminded of boot camp... If one guy screws up, the whole bunch suffers the consequences. The objective being, the group will whip the problem recruit into shape.
    We, the recreational angler, are the problem recruit. Anyone with interest in rockfish takes the beating. Recs, comms, and the person that wants rockfish in the restaurant.
    The issue with our scenario in the fishery is, the problem recruit refuses to accept responsibility and the other effected parties have no ability to knock sense into us.

That's my beef with this whole conversation.
    If we have to take our licks because the stocks are in decline, so be it.
    And don't worry. Reductions will be felt across the board.
    So to constantly belabor reductions for the commercial fishery, when it has been shown that this is a recreational issue, just doesn't sit well.
    But, but, they take fish tooo....
    We need to worry about ourselves and take the lumps we earned.

If anyone feels that I'm wrong, I'm open minded and look forward to seeing alternative facts.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I'm not the best one on this rock fishing forum to agree with you,but I do agree with you. Never give up. Just go after smaller fish. LOL!

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Totally agree gumbo. I remember, as a kid, catching limits of 12 inch stripers. Anything larger was a rare find. My dad blamed all the little fish and the loss of the shad on the blasting for the Conawingo dam. It couldn't have been the wall to wall boats from Perryville to Lapidum. lol

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotgumbo View Post
    So to constantly belabor reductions for the commercial fishery, when it has been shown that this is a recreational issue, just doesn't sit well.
    But, but, they take fish tooo....
    We need to worry about ourselves and take the lumps we earned.
    The problem as I see it is the that recreational community has already taking its lumps. On the last reductions put down that resulted with the loss of many days of the season and recreational anglers getting a 1 fish creel, the recreational community took nearly the entire reduction while the commercial sector, which makes up nearly half the harvest in the state, took an almost meaningless 3% reduction. Now there are further pushes within DNR to move the summer closure weeks that would shut down some of the busiest weeks of the summer when recreational anglers and their families participate in fishing. This would save us ZERO fish under the ASMFC management plan because both periods are within the same management wave (they cannot separate out any two week period during July and August under the management period). If implemented it WILL be devastating to the recreational fishing industries. Charters, who will unlikely have Spanish Mackerel or blues to entice their parties to target in July, would likely just be tied to the dock. Tackle shops would also likely feel the pinch given that it is unlikely anglers will take to the water for perch or spot. The August closure made more sense because passengers were willing to target Macks and Blues.

Given that the recreational community has already taken their lumps and that a significant harvest comes from our commercial fishery, that they take some of the pinch if further reductions are necessary at this time. I say this especially as watermen are seeing record lows for the price per pound off the boat given that restaurants are not open. I am hearing prices of maybe $1.25 per pound and fish being wasted due to lack of buyers. (while there are some with their hands out for cares act money from the state too). No need to further give "lumps" to the recreational fishing industries without evaluating the use of the resource for all of the citizens and businesses of the state.

I will say that I do think MD needs an upper limit on striped bass on the recreational harvest. I believe we are the only state who does not have an upper limit and it looks bad. I know our trophy harvest is minimal but all other states have gone this route and I believe Maryland should adopt the ocean regulations for our trophy season for consistent measures up and down the coast on the SSB.
    Last edited by iFishMD; 01-14-2021 at 08:18 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast