Question Not fishing related

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Not fishing related

Since we have folks who live everywhere in the Baltimore.-Wash. area in here I have a question. Years ago most local bars used to have big jars of pickled piís feet, dill pickles and pickled onions. Does anyone know where you can still buy pickled onions. Iím not talking about those tiny cocktail onions. Iím talking about regular sized onions. Havenít seen them in years.i donít want a big jar of them I just want a couple.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

LOL! You reminded me of a sign they had in the bar we use to hang out in years ago. They had pickled hard boiled eggs and the sign said 'Pickled Eggs twenty-five cents for one or three for a dollar". Yes they use to sell all kinds of things like that at bars back then. I really liked the Cod fish cakes for five or ten cents.
    Last edited by andypat; 01-08-2021 at 07:21 AM.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

We used to get codfish cakes on saltine crackers at the Toddle House in Liberty Heights back in the late 50's. Put a little mustard on them and smack your lips. I remember the big pickel barrels with tongs too. I have seen the pickeled sausages recenty but that's all......... Gary

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I'll look at my corner store - I think they might have pickeled onions in jar on counter.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

Smile

I remember when pickled onions were about 10 cents each. That was decades ago. I bought a gallon jar of them about 6 months ago and paid nearly $20.00 for them. That was a wholesale price. Still have a few left. I know there weren't 20 onions in that jar. If you're in the neighborhood (Bel Air) let me know and I'll let you have a couple. It may bring back "sweet" memories.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Not a fan of things pickled so have never tried it, but why not pickle your own? Can't be that hard. Pickling brine, onions, a jar. Am I missing anything?

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    We used to get codfish cakes on saltine crackers at the Toddle House in Liberty Heights back in the late 50's. Put a little mustard on them and smack your lips. I remember the big pickel barrels with tongs too. I have seen the pickeled sausages recenty but that's all......... Gary
    My wifeís uncle had that business and made and sold them all around Your area back them. The business was in Pimlico.

Quote Originally Posted by POLECAT View Post
    I remember when pickled onions were about 10 cents each. That was decades ago. I bought a gallon jar of them about 6 months ago and paid nearly $20.00 for them. That was a wholesale price. Still have a few left. I know there weren't 20 onions in that jar. If you're in the neighborhood (Bel Air) let me know and I'll let you have a couple. It may bring back "sweet" memories.
    I appreciate the offer but Iím in Annapolis.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember the pickled eggs too. They were purple.

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Slipsinker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bebopper View Post
    .......I remember the pickled eggs too. They were purple.
    Yep, pickled beet eggs. I still make them. BTW, when I was a kid back in the 50's, the corner tavern had coddies for 10 cents.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Yes the good ole days, we didn't have the worries back then. My local bar sold raw ground beef on pumpernickel bread. Put some raw onions and black pepper, can't eat raw nowadays. Definitely reminds me how old I'm getting, and sound like a few more on this forum as well. Never too old to fish though.

Mike

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast