Need some Help Catfishing in Southern MD this time of year.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Catfishing in Southern MD this time of year.

Going stir crazy being locked in the house and would like to try some catfishing if it is not a total waste of time in this colder weather. Would appreciate any information on general areas to try and what types of bait to use. Can fish from either a boat or shore but prefer boat. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Anywhere in the Potomac river north of the 301 bridge is your best shot. Boat or shore. There are blue catfish EVERYWHERE. Worms/nightcrawlers or fresh fish for bait. They are everywhere and will eat most anything you put in front of them.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Gizzard shad is your best bait for catfish followed by carp, perch, mullet or any fresh cut fish. I use 4-8 oz of weight depending on current on a sliding fish finder rig. I use a 36" mono leader and an 8/0 circle hook with 40 lb braid. Look for them on your fishfinder. They are usually in holes that are a little deer than the bottom. Best to leave your rod in the holder and you will see the rod bouncing as they mouth it. Wait until it loads up and bends over before you start reeling. No need to set a circle hook. Have fun........ Gary

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The big ones have moved deep and are crowded up with the small ones. You can fill a cooler if you fish deep between moving tides. The grass can be a real issue on outgoing BTW. It just wraps the line and will not pull off. Drags the bait away too. Just a pain..Fished the pier at National Colonial Farm and caught a few but the grass was a pain.

Get out and be safe...

Capt Mike

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

They're catching some decent Flatheads up the Susquehanna River. A new state record was caught last week. 56# from shore. This giant was caught on a swim bait lure. That's the way I catch them. I don't target them but catch plenty on lures. My biggest was only 25# on a lure. A baby in comparison, but enough to wrestle with in a kayak during winter. I caught that one on the Susquehanna River in December while fishing for Walleyes . Dip your lures and plastic swim baits in a jar of yellow garlic dip n glow and the Catfish will become a nuisance to you if you're trying for other species.
    Last edited by Capt.Nick; 01-13-2021 at 12:51 PM.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

8. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements