Question Herring

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Herring

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Herring

Many moons ago, about forty, I used to go to LaPlata, make a right hand turn and head to Mattawoman Creek around March. I think it was on rt. 225. The creek is very narrow at this point. On light rids we would cast shad darts across the creek and catch herring. They came thru in waves. They were about 13 inches. Simple rig. Tie a dart in line and one at the end of the line. No leader. The fish fought like mini tarpon. Jumping, tail walking etc. lotsa fun. We just caught and released them. Catfish fishermen kept them for bait. I know they are in short supply these days and are now catch and release only. Does anyone know if the run still occurs down there at all? If it’s even worth the long ride down there? Or are there any other creeks north of there that host a run of herring?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Don't see near the number of vehicles there as I used to but see no reason the fish wouldn't still be there. I would think they certainly still do come. Been about 10 years since I've gone but used to keep 5-6 for catfish bait. My dad would salt them to eat. Still a couple months away. I have a friend that lives further up the river on the Potomac and he still sees them in the shallows in the spring.
    Last edited by THE DEER HUNTER; 01-14-2021 at 05:01 PM.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Many ,many years ago ,I figured out when the Herring were in. The Ospreys showed up. In my back yard it was between March 10-20th. The days are gone when the Herring were thick. At the time, my neighbor who was from Austria , called them " Schtick Fish" He told me that in Austria they would roast them over an outdoor fire on a stick. I have caught only a few from my shore in about 12 years.
    Last edited by Capt.Nick; 01-14-2021 at 05:40 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Mud shad run up the Octorara and Deer creek, way north of where you are talking about. Not sure where your long drive begins.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Would the snakeheads have had a negative impact on the numbers of herring?

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

early 70's would catch them by the basket full with dip nets in the NE branch of the Anacostia river Riverdale area
    don't think there is much of a run there any more but don't know for sure

Blog Entries

They still come up Marshy Hope Creek around march along with some shad. I catch a few while fishing for crappie and perch.3-30-16 Marina.JPG4-12-19 (3).JPGMarina 4-8-17 (2).JPG I guess they are herring. I really don't know for sure.

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

About 67 years ago I used to catch them at Chain Bridge with snag hooks which were legal then. You could catch all you wanted. We used big chunks to catch large cats. The white Shad were thick at Fletchers. Shad darts and tiny Nungesser spoons were the lures of choice. We caught them on 5wt. fly rods in the middle of the river along with some big Rockfish. Today I throw a 8ft castnet for Pilchards, Greenies and mullet. I bet if I threw that net back then it would have been impossible to get it in with me and my young buddies all pulling it.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wino View Post
    About 67 years ago I used to catch them at Chain Bridge with snag hooks which were legal then. You could catch all you wanted. We used big chunks to catch large cats. The white Shad were thick at Fletchers. Shad darts and tiny Nungesser spoons were the lures of choice. We caught them on 5wt. fly rods in the middle of the river along with some big Rockfish. Today I throw a 8ft castnet for Pilchards, Greenies and mullet. I bet if I threw that net back then it would have been impossible to get it in with me and my young buddies all pulling it.
    i used to go along with my uncles to chain bridge. Dip netting and snagging herring. Amazing how thick the run was. water looked like glitter at times. Early 80s.
    They would salt them and put them in crocks, and any roe would be fried. I never tried it.

Blog Entries

Herring roe was the best. Remember the famous shad dart long ago named after Beautiful Elizabeth Taylor. Anyone remember what the dart was named? It was famous around the Susky River area. I know, but lets see if anyone else remembers.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast