Question Herring - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Herring

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wino View Post
    About 67 years ago I used to catch them at Chain Bridge with snag hooks which were legal then. You could catch all you wanted. We used big chunks to catch large cats. The white Shad were thick at Fletchers. Shad darts and tiny Nungesser spoons were the lures of choice. We caught them on 5wt. fly rods in the middle of the river along with some big Rockfish. Today I throw a 8ft castnet for Pilchards, Greenies and mullet. I bet if I threw that net back then it would have been impossible to get it in with me and my young buddies all pulling it.
    if your cast net hit bottom at chain bridge, you'd probably need a new one. I think I recall the snags there being ridiculous. I remember reeling in 5 or10# wads of mono and lead and all manners of terminal tackle. On the virginia side you had to be on your toes with people shoulder to shoulder slinging big treble hooks. I was along for the adventure back then. 11 or 12 years old at the time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by andypat View Post
    Herring roe was the best. Remember the famous shad dart long ago named after Beautiful Elizabeth Taylor. Anyone remember what the dart was named? It was famous around the Susky River area. I know, but lets see if anyone else remembers.
    Back in the day, like early 1950s, what we now call shad darts my father called them Quillbies". Is that the name you were thinking of?

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HJS View Post
    Back in the day, like early 1950s, what we now call shad darts my father called them Quillbies". Is that the name you were thinking of?
    I also remember Quilbies. No that's not what I am talking about. OK I'll tell you. I thought maybe Jerry the dart maker would know. One of the famous darts was called The Liz Taylor.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Last decent catch of Herring for me was bank fishing on the Susky in the mid 1990s. Couple years in there they were thick. No more. RIP

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

there were Herring in that part of Mattowoman creek last Spring. The locals say when the Dogwood s bloom, but it was before that. by a few weeks as I recall, my first trip there for herring and catch and release only. the standard darts worked well enough.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I also remember Quilbies. No that's not what I am talking about. OK I'll tell you. I thought maybe Jerry the dart maker would know. One of the famous darts was called The Liz Taylor.
    Only problem was Andy, they only caught the bucks! Roes tended to be intimidated, lol!! Also, On the subject of your minnow stash...just make sure you don't start naming THEM! Try to stay with your current numbering ID.

Doug

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dougeeboy View Post
    Only problem was Andy, they only caught the bucks! Roes tended to be intimidated, lol!! Also, On the subject of your minnow stash...just make sure you don't start naming THEM! Try to stay with your current numbering ID.

Doug
    Doug I like your humor. Not much of that on this fishing forum. Very serious fishermen on here. Doug you fished the Susky River way back then. Do you remember the Liz Taylor Dart. Tochterman's even sold them. And you could buy darts and little shad spoons along the road to Dear Creek.

Good old days @Allens Fresh and Nanjemoy in So. MD. south and west of LaPlata (Rt.301) Water temp. plays the Spawning "trigger" point. Strongly correlates w/streams/rivers/impoundments. Northerns would sometimes spawn under ice-covered streams in the reservoirs. I remember the bucketfuls of neds that came from the Fresh and DC waterways that encompassed the 44* w/t range, white perch would then take their turn, many times overlapping the yellows. Susky/Potomac(Fletcher's) had the herring>hickory>white shad/white perch>striper calendar working- really didn't know about the yellas there until info. leaked about catching from pay to fish piers near bridge(Rt. 40?) Smallies and bigmouths would do the low 60* kickoff, and I would guess that the "eyes"(Top Secret) I think had a cool-water spawn time on Susky. Oh yes, fond memories of my home state road trips. Still, to this day, wish there was a dependable yellow perch waterway here in Fla. Couple rivers in Panhandle(Appalachicola region) that have some, but thankfully I'm easily satisfied with the 12 month cornucopia that live/vacation here. Right Andy? Do miss my Ice fishing forays on Conowingo and Eastern shore ponds.... ssshh! Even snuck into Loch Raven and did good on the hard water! Remember seeing guarded Catfish beds in June/July on Loch Raven shorelines. (sshhh!) On the roe-eating topic- I still love the finer-sized eggs of herring/white perch/bluegill/crappie and in Florida Mullet(ginormous amounts here).
    Great fishing/crabbing guys-
    Dougeeboy

Doug I like your humor. Not much of that on this fishing forum. Very serious fishermen on here. Doug you fished the Susky River way back then. Do you remember the Liz Taylor Dart. Tochterman's even sold them. And you could buy darts and little shad spoons along the road to Dear Creek.
    Yes Andy most definitely. The silver or gold Nungesser's and Tony Acetta's were also deadly on Susky. That's unfortunate that light-hearted fun isn't a part of "some" serious-minded people(to include fishermen). I won't mention, I promise, your high-success numbers with black doll flies and Johnson spoons back in the day, and your great sea bass/weakies numbers in Indian River Delaware, honestly, I wouldn't squeal for 2 Covid vaccine shots! Too bad though, it seems you didn't get introduced to Florida's panfish fun although you did enjoy your Salty adventures that advanced to watching(under the sunglasses), the bevvy of beauties that parade Florida's shorelines...hmmmm, was that really the reason you sold the boat?? Take care bud, many more days for you to pursue your/my passion!!
    Doug

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I don't remember Liz Taylor shad darts. We would stop in at the boat house tackle shop in Perryville and pick up the colors of the week every Saturday morning. On Monday after school, we would use my model paint to repaint all the darts that were worn down to the lead. good times

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast