oturiggers

Thread: oturiggers

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default oturiggers

i have a 19' Trophy Center Consle and would like to try some offshore fishing on good days of course. If i do go offshore I will trailer my boat down to Hatteras Inlet so the ride won't be as long. My Question is do I need outriggers and is so what type and where can I purchase them? Your responce would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Billy. You can Bmail me if would like

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default oturiggers

I honestly can't imagine fishing w/out them. Keeping your baits in clean water WILL help you get bites. This is where outriggers really shine as they place the bait outside your white water. A decent set of gunnel mount riggers will not break the bank. Double rig them and have fun. I guarantee they'll also be a selling point when you inevitably decide that there is no fishing other than blue water.

Default oturiggers

There are brand new Taco gunnel mounts on Ebay right now. The bases are $179 and the poles are $319 buy it now. If you go with gunnel mounts get the 1 1/2 to get the stiffest pole you can. If you go with the telescopic poles stay with the 15 footers. The 18 footers have dual locking pins on the bottom section and the poles tend to shear at that point. I haven;t heard of any problems with the 15 foot poles, they only have a single locking pin at the base.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Default oturiggers

Thanks to all of the anglers who posted a reply. I really appreciate the advise and as you say the wind gods will have to bless me. But if they do i want to be prepared. Thanks agian Billy

Default oturiggers

I fished a 19 outrage offshore for two years. It is true you have to pick your days, but it can be done. I bought and fished Lee's 15' pole skiff outriggers (boater's world for $ 279 poles and bases all metal). They worked fine single rigged. I think they are a good and very economical option.
    Catching big fish from a small boat can be very exilerating, as long as it is done safely.
    Good Luck
    SeaBiscuit

Default oturiggers

As mentioned by Darren....those are a good deal on the Taco gunnel mount & 15'x1 1/2" tele poles. After a lot of research that is the exact rig I purchased for my Grady. (from eastern marine in Deleware). [wink]

Default oturiggers

That's pretty funny Jimbo. Eastern is the one that has them listed on Ebay now. I bought a set about three years ago from West Marine's Ebay store. I got them for $400, bust was very sorry for buying the 18 footers. I broke both poles at least three times. It got kind of old shipping them back to Taco all the time, but tho their credit, they always took care of it

Default oturiggers

No No No. On a boat that small your really don't need them. I fished hatteras for 4 years on my 21 foot CC without riggers and we always caught a ton of fish. We ran 4 rods which was more than enough. We caught Blue Marlin (450 pounds), white marlin, yellowfin, dolphin, cobia and king mackral. Keep it simply run 80 to 150 pound leaders with 30 to 50 pound test with or without seawitches. I've run them bare and had good success. One thing that is very important is to brine you ballyhoo. I like to run medium size hoo. Brining will make them last alot longer. Back to outriggers I have them on my new boat and like them but I dont really feel they are all that necessary. Also I would stick to running 4 lines or less due to the fact that in a 19ft boat you probably wont have more than 3 guys fishing. With 5-78 seven lines that can be very difficult if you get multiple hook ups. Once we had 4 50-70# Yellowfin at once and there was only three of us. We manged to land 3, one with a shark bite out of it. Anyway save your money until you take a few trips. I would suggest having a better selection of tackle and safety gear rather than the outriggers.

11. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements