Question: What fasteners for Scotty rod holder? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Question: What fasteners for Scotty rod holder?

Everybody has thier preference as to what fastener to use. I think if you lean towards a non corrosive fastener, drill the hole a fraction smaller than the fastener. (enough that you have to firmly press it in with some resistance) This ensures you have opening around the fastener. In addition, I apply a layer of goop to the shaft of the fastener while inserting to ensure a good seal. Keep in mind what the hull material is made of, and that you can only go so far with fastener rigidity before it becomes overkill. Wellnuts are also a good choice, and they also qive you option of unscrewing whatever you attatch.

BM

Here! Here! for the yellow bible!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Jim -

I used nuts and bolts for my fish finder then some marine goop/lexel (sp?) around the holes. no leaks yet. Let me know when you plan to do it. I have the marine goop, don't buy it.

mike

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks everyone.

I'm going with stainless steel pan head screws and nuts, with stainless bonded neoprene sealing washers and a dab of silicone. If the screws are long enough, I'll throw a fender washer in there between the neoprene and the inside of the hull for extra strength. Turns out 1/4' machine screws fit beautifully inside the Scotty base -- I found some in the basement and tried them out last night. They're only a little bigger than #12 screws.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12