Keeping minnows alive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Keeping minnows alive

. If you have ever bought minnows and put them in a bucket full of water without an aerator and half were dead when you got to the fishing spot try this .

Put in just enough water to just cover the minnows . Keep the bucket as cool as possible [ up front with the ac in summer] or throw in 1 ice cube once in a while .

The more water in the bucket you have without the surface being agitated to make the oxygen transfer [that's where it happens ] as soon as the fish use up all the O their toast . With the minnows just covered they agitate the surface .

I've seen minnows that were dropped on the floor of the boat and lost under a seat or something last for days if they were in a small puddle or damp spot where they could keep there gills wet.

I knew a guy once who wouldn't listen to me and put water in a bucket with his crabs . He won't do it again .

Another tip . When I rock fish I usually don't take a big cooler for the fish for lack of room . I freeze 2- 2 liter soda bottles filled with water and put them in my food and drink cooler . When I catch a fish I half fill a 5 gal bucket with river water and put in the 1 or 2 fish head first with a bottle of ice .

They are usually still alive and breathing for at least 2 hours per bottle of ice if it's not a super hot day . If their tails are not sticking out to far, covering the bucket with a large old rag keeps down the splashing and the cold in . If you don't catch any fish at least the beers real cold .

I've brought fish like this back to my pier to clean and had to smack them in the head to clean them.
    Once I brought them back to the pier and put them into a large tub and pumped in river water . In 10 minutes they were jumping out of the tub .

Also the meat does not have that white milky color when you clean them since you've kept them alive much longer.

Tony

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

my goodness! sounds like torture to me[sad]

the least ya can do for your catch is give them a swift death. keep them on ice and the meat will be fine. if ya cant afford a cooler, ya can't afford to be fish'n---------------------

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

put ice in bottom of cooler, bucket, etc cover ice with wet rag put minnows on top of rag cover bucket . minnows will last long time, even when they die they will look fresh. tinmantoo parker guy bel air md

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!

I'm with Tinman. I put ice in the bottom of a small lunch cooler. I put the minnows in a plastic, old butter tub ( Can't believe it aint butter) and make sure you get ALL the water out before you put the lid on the tub. The moisture from the minner's body will be enough. If you leave ANY water in the tub, they will drown. Go figure! Put the tub in the ice and they will keep for days. After a day or two they look dead until you throw them in the drink. They'll come back to life!

If any minners do die in there, then just keep them and put them on a bucktail. Flaten thangs love these kind of samiches!

Notch

Tony
    Great tips, I fish from a small skiff where space and weight are always a problem. Both these tips could come in handy.
    Thanks Mark

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Another alternative similar to above suggestions...this how I keep my minner's alive for 2-3 days easy when flounder fishing.

1) Place ice in cooler.

2) Get cardboard tray used for cases of soda or beer cans and place on top of ice.

3) Take news paper and wet it to make it damp, it does not have to be dripping wet.

4) Now line the cardboard tray with wet newspaper.

5) Place live minner's on newspaper and cover with more wet newspaper

The minner's will stay a live for a few days as long as you do not let them freeze and you keep the newspaper damp. The tray with the wet newspaper just needs to be kept cool in the cooler. It does not have to be directly on top of the ice.

The minnows will appear very sluggish or seem dead. This makes them very easy to handle. As soon as you put them in the water they will come to life almost instantly.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

When I mated in Solomons, my Capt. did what was suggested above, but a little different. We had a cooler with ice (block), placed a wooden framed flat (like the coke can cardboard suggested above) that fitted on the top of cooler/like a shelf. We placed a damp (water from where we caught the minnows) piece of burlap in the wood frame, placed in the minnows, then placed another damp piece of burlap on top. You can simply throw small amount of water on the burlap during the day (especially on hot days)...worked for us. Hope it helps.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The damp paper post reminded me that my uncle used to keep grass shrimp alive by putting them between layers of damp paper and keeping them cool .

Tony

To piggy back on keeping minnows alive...Here's how I keep bloodworms alive for 2 weeks or more.

After buying the bloodworms, dump the container (bag or cup) and the sea weed into a zip lock storage back. Close the bag and place it inside a brown lunch bag. While fishing keep the bag in your cooler. When not fishing store the lunch bag in the fridge.

Once per day, open the zip lock bag and fan a little fresh air into it. Close the zip lock bag and flip it over from it's last resting postion. Esentially, moving the bloodworms so they are now on top of the sea weed. The somehow always find their way to the bottom side of the sea weed and end up laying directly on the plastic zip lock bag. Place back in the fridge.

Repeat once per day until the bloodworms have either been used up or have died. Always make sure to flip the bag over so the bloodworms aren't always bunched up on the bottom side of the zip lock bag.

Good Luck!
    Jerry

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Do you use minnows as live bait or like a lure? Sounds like a stupid question, but wouldnt they die after you put a hook through em? If you do use them as live bait where do you put the hook and what do you do with them? Ive just never fished with minnows before but have heard of it, what do you catch?

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast