Tidal Fish Forum banner

Florida Keys Angler: Home Thread

15K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  flattyfrank 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread will remain at the top of this board to provide a home for general links which will take you to various options for information on fishing, accommodations, boat rentals etc. here in Paradise.

The usual Tidalfish Rules will of course apply here, no cussing, swearing or abusive behavior or language...you can be assurred I will enforce them vigorously.

All who wish to post commercial advertisements for their business, charter/guide service etc. should contact Brandon thru the Tidalfish.com home site.

This will be a living post and will have information added as it becomes available and time permits for its addittion. SO...

PLEASE DO NOT reply or post to this thread, its sole purpose is to provide a home base for this board and needs to be kept concise to maintain its functionality.

Thank You, and enjoy your visit in Paradise.

PUBLICATIONS:With local info and reports,

upperkeysreporter-dot-com - Your best source of print and online news about the upper Florida Keys

keynoter-dot-com - Your best source of print and online news from the Florida Keys (middlekeys)

KeysNews.com - The Florida Keys Best and Only Daily Online News! (lower to middle keys) go to columns-sports

betweentheseas.com

Florida Sportsman Magazine - The Florida Fishing Experts

Home

The Weekly Fisherman Magazine

General info Web Sites: some also have fishing reports

Florida Keys On-Line Guide

Florida Keys travel info - Key Largo to Key West - diving, fishing, snorkeling and attractions

Florida Keys - Hotels, Resorts, Lodging, Vacation, Attractions, and Tourism in the Florida Keys - From KeysDirectory.Com

The Official Tourism Council Web Site for the Florida Keys! Key Largo, Islamorada, Marathon, Lower Keys, Key West

FLORIDA KEYS NET - A Guide to Key West, Big Pine, Marathon, Islamorada and Key Largo.

Florida Keys travel info - Key Largo to Key West - diving, fishing, snorkeling and attractions

PLACES I HAVE STAYED AND WOULD RECOMMEND WITHIN THEIR RESPECTIVE LIMITS:

Captain Pips Marina and Hideaway
most expensive but includes use of a boat everyday of your stay
price the rental of a boat and you'll see why I stayed here.

White Sands Inn
Ocean front, row boats and kayaks, small beach, w/outdoor pool
wadeable flats outside your door

Tropical Cottages, 61st, Marathon
small old keys style cottages, a/c, cable tv, some with kitchen
very inexpensive, comfortable but very plain as well, no beach, no boats, no pool

Vacation Rentals by Owner® Vacation Homes Rentals by Owner
a place to locate weekly rentals

(these are not advertisements, just factual first hand knowledge of places I stayed)

TACKLE SHOPS: ( a few from each area) north to south ( not a complete listing)

Key Largo: Key Largo Bait and Tackle, 305-451-0921
One Stop Shop Tackle and Bait, 305-453-9818
Yellow Bait House, 305-451-0921

TAVERNIER: Cuda Bait and Tackle, 305-853-0191

ISLAMORADA: Islamorada Outfitters, 305-664-3232
Islamorada Tackle, 305-664-4578
Abels Tackle Box, 305-664-2521

MARATHON: Big TIme Bait & Tackle, 305-289-0199
The Tackle Box, 305-289-0540
World Class Angler, 305-743-6139 ( Has seminars Oct-Apr on Thurs Eve's)

BIG PINE: Reef Light Tackle, 305-872-7679

KEY WEST: Conchy Joes Marine & Tackle, 305-295-7745
Key West Bait & Tackle, 305-292-1961
The Salt Water Angler, 305-294-3248

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a few questions that I think pertain to The Keys. First off, why did they change the name of the Jewfish to Goliath Grouper? and I'm sure a lot of you have caught them before, but I have not. So I'm wondering if I need to know anything in particular before fishing for them. Or will a guide suffice? Thank you much

#4 ·
I'm going to reply and in 2 days remove this post as it belongs on a thread of its own as this is the base info post and needs to be kept concise as was posted in the beginning of the thread

People of the Jewish faith found the reference to the fish offensive...and since it grows to Goliath preportions it got that name any guide can put you on Big Goliaths...just bring plenty of pain meds for your back...after 2 or 3 you'll never want to hook another one EVER again...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.