Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fired up the boat today to charge the batteries and to keep the gas from getting stale.. went out around thanksgiving had a full tank from the last trip getting back from o.i. on july 4.. boat ran great. today it started and ran for about 5 mn and its cut off. fired back up tried to rev it up and it choked.. im thinking bad gas water etc?.. should i drain the tank and start fresh? i have about 60 gallons in it. which is the safest and fatest way to do this? any recomendations would be greatly appreciated..:help:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Check you rwater separator(s) first. most motors have one attached to the motor itself, and there is usually another in the hull somewhere.

If thats good, try running it off a 6 gal. tank of new fuel. If it still runs bad, then the fuel is probally ok.

Make sure your primer ball isnt etting sucked flat. It should be firm- soft indicates you have a leak somewhere in the fuel line letting air in.

others will be along shortly to chime in.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Same thing happened to me with a DF140 4-stroke. As usual Doug Whalen saved the day. I called him EARLY one morning and he told me that the electronics in the Suzukis were very sensitive to low voltage from an old battery.

Sure enough, I switched the A/B switch over to the house battery and the motor ran fine.

The permanent fix of course was to replace the cranking battery.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I can't get my wife of 21 yrs to take a load, anysuggestions?:hysterical:
After 21 years, the warranty is long gone and the trade in is non-existant. You either need to adapt or get a newer model because that model can't be rebuilt!! No parts are available!! LOL

·
Registered
99 Posts
Go to walmart and purchase some "seafoam" in the auto parts area. It truly is amazing stuff. If any gas at all is cycling through your motor it will clean everything, just run it for a bit and follow the instructions on the can. I recently had a similar problem with my two-stroke here it was bogging down at increased rpms, near half power or so. I had a fouled plug also. I put in sea foam, new plugs, and I am in business. I hope this helps.

Capt. Joe

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow. cant help you with the wife problems guys hopefully it will get better lol.. tried it again today i noticed the fuel bulb being very soft.. i will try a new one along with filters and plugs.. then im going to change the fuel lines.. screaming drag i just left walmart never even considered looking for anything there thanks!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
clean your carbs...

Just to confirm what I read.... motor has not been run since July 4th..... assuming the carbs were not drained..... you probably have stuck floats and deposits in the float bowls....

try pumping the bulb with the hood off the engine. The primer bulb should eventually get firm....if not gas will start leaking from the carbs.

Save some money in the long run and have them cleaned by someone who knows what they are doing.

If you get it halfway running and continue to run it starved for fuel you will burn one or more pistons.

Sorry re-read the post. you had it out at thanksgiving... ran fine.....

Try draining the carbs and the particulate filter you may have water.
Try taking the fuel fitting off the engine end of the fuel line and pump some fuel into a clean container using the primer bulb. Check the fuel that you pumped out for water.

·
Registered
195 Posts
wow. cant help you with the wife problems guys hopefully it will get better lol.. tried it again today i noticed the fuel bulb being very soft.. i will try a new one along with filters and plugs.. then im going to change the fuel lines.. screaming drag i just left walmart never even considered looking for anything there thanks!!!
None of that stuff will hurt, but before you get too far down the road you might want to try what Dave Davis (captdavdavis01) said. Hooking up that 6 gallon can will tell you very quickly if it is a fuel/fuel system problem or something else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts