Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing from several speakers, including many from the Eastern Shore, the Virginia Marine Resources Commission voted for a flounder regulation option that creates minimum size of 18.5 inches.Anglers will be limited to five keepers per day -- a better prospect than some of the options the commission faced, many agreed.
"Quite frankly, some of them said that it's not worth it to crank the boat up, fill it with gas and go out if you can only get two or three fish," said Wilford Kale, a commission spokesman. "The five fish limit per person was more viable."
The approved option includes two closed seasons this year -- from Jan. 1 through March 31 and July 23 through 28, the week of the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Company's annual Pony Penning and Auction. Kale said a closed season helps to meet flounder quotas.
The regulation adjustments were made after the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission ordered the state to reduce this year's catch by 27 percent.
Kale also said comments he has received from many recreational fishermen were that they'd rather have a closed season than a smaller fish limit.Some Eastern Shore bait-and-tackle shopkeepers and marina owners did not attend the hearing because everyone seemed to be in agreement on what should be this year's regulations.

Donna Rae Roeske, owner of Capt. Bob's Marina on Chincoteague, said this year was one of the first years she can remember when business owners in Accomack and Northampton counties have been in agreement about what the catch limit should be because seaside flounder are smaller in size than ones found bayside.
"It goes back to that same old argument ... they catch larger flounder over there than we do here," Roeske said.
It's because of their smaller size Roeske believes the community will suffer a direct economic impact.
In a town surrounded by water, many visitors come to enjoy the Assateague beach and recreational fishing industry. But already this year, Roeske was contacted by a seasonal boat slip owner who has been doing business with the marina for about 18 years and said that because of the regulation, it would not be worth the trip to Chincoteague this year.
She said an 18.5-inch flounder is very difficult to catch in Chincoteague waters.
"I don't think catching five flounder is going to be a problem," she said. "It's the size that's the problem. You have to really fish hard and long to pull up an 18-and-a-half-inch fish."
Randy Lewis Jr. of Wachapreague, the lone Eastern Shore representative to speak at the hearings, said he has issues with the collection method to obtain the documentation that showed Virginia anglers far exceeded their flounder quotas last year.
"They say they do it by random telephone survey and some dock visits, but I have never talked to anyone who has been surveyed and have never seen anyone collecting data in Wachapreague. We all know fishermen like to brag about their catches anyway," he said.
Lewis also said last year North Carolina and Maryland size limits were below Virginia and would likely be again this year."There is an inconsistency in the regulations. If you have a better chance of catching a legal fish in a nearby state, that is probably where you will go."

from Daily Times

·
Registered
356 Posts
In 2 years, the fish will grow bigger and everyone will be happy. I remember when it was a 14" limit, that was plain dumb.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
BigJim: While there are some big ones caught here on the shore seaside, having fished here and at the CBBT for flounder there is no doubt the avg. size at the CBBT area is much larger. FYI

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I wonder how many captains will actually remember that July 23-28th is closed and how many will actually care? I agree with the 18.5", five fish limit. We had some good days last year and most of the fish we kept were 20"s and up. Based on the number and size of fish caught trolling for strippers in Jan/Feb it should be good again this year. Can't wait. :fishing2:

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
Larry, most of the people who fish the bay in Virginia do not fish the CBBT. Now, we both know that I tend to catch a few big flounder every year. I have never caught one at the CBBT mostly because I prefer to fish where the crowds are not. Darren, tells me this year that he is going to change my mind. I hope he does but I'll still be found where nobody can see what I'm netting most of the time.

However, I am still curious how is it that the Eastern Shore does not seem to lack for citation fish and yet we consistantly hear that there are no big fish over there. Since I don't fish over there I do not understand and I guess I am wanting somebody to school me.

If I were to go over there are people saying that I cannot catch a limit of the bigger fish?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts