Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick up date on Saturday's outing. Saturday morning I finally got out on the water after having the boat grounded for 4 weeks for motor repairs which was accompanied by a bill that would make anyone wince twice(you gotta pay to play). So my brother and I headed out of breezy point and got across to the eastern shore by 7am. We checked between poplar island and stone rock for an hr and half finding schools of striper/blues in 25' of water over structure and a hard bottom. My brother and I jigged up (4) shorts and several blues in the 14-18" range primarily on 2oz chartreuse lil bunker spoons with a dropper fly. As the tide began to change we headed toward the choptank. Found decent marks and and hooked up a couple throw back barley legal stripers at the south east end of flat in 12' of water, taken on 3/4oz white and pink Slug-O's. We then headed about 2 miles up into the river and scouted out some well know structure just south of the channel. The tide was just starting to go out so after finding good marks we set out the spoons/tubes and planers looping in a north-south track. The #2 planers and size 0 chrome Clark spoons took nothing but blues however we did manage (5) or so in 22" range which was fun. We ended up getting (2) Rock (21 and 22") on the #1 planer with red hose. After about an hr of throwing back blues I changed the other #1 planer out and put on a chartreuse size 1 drone spoon which started catching striper. Surprisingly the slightly larger drone spoon out fished the hose 3-1 and caught the two take home fish at 23 and 26". Lastly as the tide/ bite slowed and we began to pull in the spread while trolling out to the mouth of the river, I set out both outriggers with a bird dragging a size 1 Clark spoon and a bird / blue candy delight pink daisy chain. I have to admit the "teaser" style offering was more to make me feel like I was still fishing as I stowed the other rods and gear as we were headed home but to my surprise they both started catching nothing but Spanish. We did a couple loops and managed to pull (6) decent Spanish in 15 min, the daisy chain out fished the spoon. I don't know if it was the change in location or the surface presentation but I'll be experimenting with this spread in the future. The bite slowed and we headed back to breezy point at 3:30. All and all a good day, great weather and some of the most expensive fish I've ever caught :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Great report! FWIW I have found that mixing in a size 2 Drone results in some even bigger fish popping up than the size 1 drone.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice day! The drones have been the way to go this late summer. On the western side of the bay, I have found that the blue body with silver stripe, #1, has been the big hitter. All my chartreuse has caught is small blues. I have, however, caught 2 Rock over 26" with a large red hose. Funny how the fish react to different baits at different spots throughout the Bay. Keeps things interesting!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts