Tidal Fish Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
249 Posts
A friend is a bass fisherman most of the time. He Fishes local tournaments, makes his own lures and doesn’t use bait. He went to Florida last month and caught his PB LM bass on a live shiner. It was 8.5 lb. I asked if he was considering it his PB since he “cheated“ with live bait.

· Registered
4 Posts
That one definitely has its thought-provocation factor MP...the reason I like it is = All of us, regardless of our age, have life's experiences(good, bad, ugly). We fisher-folk have days we like to remember or not. Each day we're out there, especially us with lots o' candles on the cake, is a blessing...our future is not certain. Photos/archives are our "helpers" to reminisce. we don't have the capability to take a pic of our next fish...until, hopefully, we're blessed with the opportunity. Another way to say it, but takes away from the long-time saying is "hopefully, you'll be lucky enough to be here tomorrow". I'll use it the new way...thx. MP. Here's one "Half the lies they tell about me are untrue!"

· Registered
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That one definitely has its thought-provocation factor MP...the reason I like it is = All of us, regardless of our age, have life's experiences(good, bad, ugly). We fisher-folk have days we like to remember or not. Each day we're out there, especially us with lots o' candles on the cake, is a blessing...our future is not certain. Photos/archives are our "helpers" to reminisce. we don't have the capability to take a pic of our next fish...until, hopefully, we're blessed with the opportunity. Another way to say it, but takes away from the long-time saying is "hopefully, you'll be lucky enough to be here tomorrow". I'll use it the new way...thx. MP. Here's one "Half the lies they tell about me are untrue!"
Kinda like, "No One Knows I'm Famous" :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
12,500 Posts
.Learning to catch fish soley on artificials takes more discipline and confidence.to be successful , Personally,I get more satisfacion when catching fish on artificals than live bait . No matter what the species , from catfish,stripers,crappy, perch,pike,walleyes, bass or snakeheads. They can all be caught on artificials in numbers and sometimes many more than on bait and that's a fact. What makes me say that? Because when Im not targeting most of the mentioned species ,I catch many by accident. That's what I like best about artificials, The odds of catching multi species are much greater for me using artificals. That, I'm confident about

· Registered
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
.Learning to catch fish soley on artificials takes more discipline and confidence.to be successful , Personally,I get more satisfacion when catching fish on artificals than live bait . No matter what the species , from catfish,stripers,crappy, perch,pike,walleyes, bass or snakeheads. They can all be caught on artificials in numbers and sometimes many more than on bait and that's a fact. What makes me say that? Because when Im not targeting most of the mentioned species ,I catch many by accident. That's what I like best about artificials, The odds of catching multi species are much greater for me using artificals. That, I'm confident about

· Registered
4,684 Posts
truth

· Registered
4,561 Posts
My opinion on using bait evolves over time, and shifts somewhat like a pendulum. You can tell from what I put in my different fishing books. My first book "Fishing in the Comfort Zone", published in 2016, explains my fishing comfort zone as not including bait (live or dead) most of the time. If you had asked me in 2000, I would have talked more about bottom fishing with bait. In 2016, I rarely did bottom fishing and only used bait (live minnows) for pickerel fishing in the coldest weeks of the winter.

My most recent book "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing", published in 2021, spends more time talking about how I used live or cut bait when fishing with guides in south Florida and the Keys. I began fishing in those areas with kayak guides in 2019. My eyes were opened when I was able to catch tarpon, barracuda, bonefish, sharks, and many other species using shrimp or cut bait. I realized that I did enjoy catching those strong fish, and allowed my fishing comfort zone to evolve back toward bait somewhat.

I still do not use bait often at home, but have no reservations using bait when I am in areas where the bait will allow me to catch larger fish.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts