Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I should have fished in the tournament. Today I had Len Clayton and friends from Maryland aboard for a day of striper fishing. These guys wanted to catch some trophy stripers on eels but the conditions just were not right for that. It was slap your momma cold outside and blowing out of the north 10-20. we started out a hair south of the inlet in 42.9 degree water with bait marks, but no bites for us. Then we moved up to cape henry and nada there either. It was beginning to look like I was gonna sit up there and spend the day freezing for nothing when the phone rings. Max King calls me and tells me that he does not have much time left in his day but the birds were trying to get together up north. Without hesitation, we cranked up. When I got there Max was getting ready to leave. After a few minutes the birds finally started diving and it was on. We caught a very easy limit of some real nice fish including my biggest fish of the year, a 47'' 54.5 pound striper with a basketball size stomach. We also had a 47 pound and a 42 pound fish. Thanks Max. Back at it again tomorrow. Pics to come.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
54 1/2 lbs at 47 inches - what was it eating , Gannets ? :D:D
I've had 46 inchers that only went 40 lbs.

That is a fat,fat Rock. Wow.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Capt Ben posted one picture on the Va board,but when I get home tomorrow I post some pic's,we caught her right after she had just finished lunch:))and on the same line was a little bouns fish that was in the low 30's,while fighting the fish I thought Al McReynolds was in trouble well I did have him beat it was just with 2 fish:D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nice fish yeah i caught a 47 incher last year and mine weighed 37 pounds so thats a fatty. Good job and for bearing the cold you deserve it. Nice job my eyes froze open when i looked at the ocean today you must have coffee in the veins.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
All three of these fish were a personal best for each of us,a fourth angler also caught his personal best just don't have a pic of him,4 guys on the charter and four personal best fish can't have a better trip then that one,and two will be mounted to enjoy for the years to come,also they will serve as the last cows either of us ever kill again,my 10 yr old daughter was also on the trip but it was to rough for her to try..

54.8 lbs

47lbs

42lbs

Was it cold?

yes it was cold

And the bird show

well at least she could hold one

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Nice pictures. Man that one with the ice on the reel and line looks so cold. Way to stick it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts