Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past I only purchased the Consolidated Bay Sport Boat which allows for 1 bushel.

If I also purchase and individual license and I am on my boat with my non-licensed buddy. Can I legally pull 2 bushels?

Thanks

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,148 Posts
febod,
If you purchase the $40.00 Consolidated Chesapeake Bay Sport Boat license, it comes with the "complementary" crabbing license that is issued to YOU, not to the boat. It alows you to keep one bushel. Buying another license for yourself does not allow you to harvest another bushel.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Based on the regs I'm reading I'd have to disagree with some of the others who've responded. If you purchase a boat license and you purchase another separate recreational crabbing license it seems to me you could catch 2 bushels if you have another unlicensed crabber on the boat. I didn't see anywhere that says you can't purchase both licenses... one for the boat and one for you personally. I'll admit though that I'm still a newbie at the whole crabbing thing...

One other thing... This topic interests me as well since I'm from PA... If I ask someone spur of the moment to go with me there's no real way for them to get a crabbing license prior to the trip.

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/08/08.02.03.10.htm

.10 Recreational Crabbing Catch and Possession Limits-Chesapeake Bay and its Tidal Tributaries.

A. A daily catch limit of a maximum of 2 bushels of hard crabs, and 2 dozen peelers or soft crabs or a combination of 2 dozen peelers and soft crabs, may be caught and possessed if:

(1) Two or more individuals licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes are on a boat, regardless of whether the boat is licensed by the Department as a recreational crabbing boat or under Natural Resources Article, §4-745(d)(2), Annotated Code of Maryland; or

(2) Two or more individuals are on a boat and one individual is licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes and in addition the boat is licensed by the Department as a recreational crabbing boat or under Natural Resources Article, §4-745(d)(2), Annotated Code of Maryland.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think this applies to me. I buy a rec license for the boat, and I get an individual license.

If I am fishing my unlicensed buddy, in my boat. Then we get to keep 2 bushels?

"Two or more individuals are on a boat and one individual is licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes and in addition the boat is licensed by the Department as a recreational crabbing boat or under Natural Resources Article, §4-745(d)(2), Annotated Code of Maryland"

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
2 bushels

I believe it would pay to call DNR on this topic. I read into it that in order to bring home two bushels it takes two separate licenses on the boat issued to more than one person.

Shaggy, you can get a license in Lancaster whenever you need one

John

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
This rule was updated this year, you only need 1 individual with a license on a recreational licensed crab boat in order to keep 2 bushels,there must still be 2 individuals on the boat but only 1 needs to be licensed. remember that a recreational crab boat license comes with a complimentary individual license.

the way I read it is
recreational crab boat owner on his licensed boat with his individual license & 1 other unlicensed person= 2 bu

Old rule:
2) If only one individual licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes is on the boat, the daily catch and possession limit is:
(a) 1 bushel of hard crabs per boat; and
(b) 2 dozen peelers or soft crabs per boat or a combination of 2 dozen peelers and soft crabs per boat;
(3) If two or more individuals licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes are on the boat, the daily catch and possession limit is:
(a) 2 bushels of hard crabs per boat; and
(b) 2 dozen peelers or soft crabs per boat or a combination of 2 dozen peelers and soft crabs per boat.

New rule:
A. A daily catch limit of a maximum of 2 bushels of hard crabs, and 2 dozen peelers or soft crabs or a combination of 2 dozen peelers and soft crabs, may be caught and possessed if:
(1) Two or more individuals licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes are on a boat, regardless of whether the boat is licensed by the Department as a recreational crabbing boat or under Natural Resources Article, §4-745(d)(2), Annotated Code of Maryland; or
(2) Two or more individuals are on a boat and one individual is licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes and in addition the boat is licensed by the Department as a recreational crabbing boat or under Natural Resources Article, §4-745(d)(2), Annotated Code of Maryland.

·
Registered
213 Posts
LOL... I can see alot of tickets from DNR if you have 2 bushels and only 1 licensed crabber... whether it's a boat license or individual.. LOL.. Go ahead try it...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
This rule was updated this year, you only need 1 individual with a license on a recreational licensed crab boat in order to keep 2 bushels,there must still be 2 individuals on the boat but only 1 needs to be licensed. remember that a recreational crab boat license comes with a complimentary individual license.

the way I read it is
recreational crab boat owner on his licensed boat with his individual license & 1 other unlicensed person= 2 bu

Old rule:
2) If only one individual licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes is on the boat, the daily catch and possession limit is:
(a) 1 bushel of hard crabs per boat; and
(b) 2 dozen peelers or soft crabs per boat or a combination of 2 dozen peelers and soft crabs per boat;
(3) If two or more individuals licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes are on the boat, the daily catch and possession limit is:
(a) 2 bushels of hard crabs per boat; and
(b) 2 dozen peelers or soft crabs per boat or a combination of 2 dozen peelers and soft crabs per boat.

New rule:
BLAH, BLAH , BLAH, ........that's all he's good for.........:yawn:

Tony

·
Banned
186 Posts
Antman....LMFAO

........That's about it!!! .........well, that and "your not doing it like me, so it must be wrong!!!" LMAO!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Called DNR for clarification today, they gave me a number in "fisheries". Left them a message. I will get to the bottom of this.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
This board is here to share ideas and different techniques. If everything was a rubber stamp, we would need only one type of boat and one method of crabbing.

Don't argue over wording in a law. Call the DNR and let them tell you their multiple interpretations.

·
Registered
129 Posts
STOP BEING CHEAP! BUY THE REQUIRED LICENCE HAVE A GREAT DAY CRABBING AND SUPPORT THE BAY OR WAIT FOR DNR TO GIVE YOU A LARGE FINE GET PISSED OFF AND SUPPORT THE BAY EVEN MORE:thumbup: !

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's not about being cheap, it's about being legal.

I can count at least 6 times out crabbing with a friend last year and as we were topping off the first bush, I turn to my buddie and ask...You have you license with you, right....and the answer was no. If I am on my lecensed boat with my complimentary individual license and can legally keep 2 bush......it becomes an non-issue!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Neighbor Dave is exactly right.... it's not about being cheap (heck, I buy 3 boat licenses a year and only use one of the boats on the bay). All I want to know is what's legal so if I'm ever in the situation I know what I can and can't do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Maybe I was harsh to say that you are being cheap but you as an avid fisherman/crabber and the captain should tell your buddy to buy a license before you go. If at all you feel that you have to interpret the law then go with the safe bet and make sure they have it.

I did ask the customer service rep last year when I bought my consolidated boat license and she said that the complimentary license is for when I go on someone elses boat that does not have the cosolidated license or for when I fish from the shore. It does not allow me to keep 2 bushels when I'm on the boat alone, even if I were to buy another license. It does not constitute that it will apply to the other person on board either as a license bought in addition to the consolidated. Consider the consolidated license a fishing license for everone on board but as a crabbing license for one person limit.

My point is that we all just can't wait to get out there so we spend every waking hour thinking about the little details, just get out there and crab! Just a few more weeks!

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
There are two different boat licenses, one is the $40 license which gives you a "complimentary" personal license. the other is the $15 license crab boat license for the boat.

Recreational Crabbing Boat License: Resident/Non-Resident: $15.00 Allows anyone on board a vessel to catch crabs for recreational purposes anywhere in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries using specified gear as described in the link below.
The license (Singular, one license one limit) applies to anybody on board but only covers the limit for one person.

Consolidated Bay Sport Boat License: $40.00 Allows everyone onboard a boat used for pleasure to recreationally fish and crab in the Chesapeake Bay and it's tributaries. Also allows the boat owner named on the license to recreationally fish and crab from locations other than the boat.
Again this is a single license and one limit.

Either way you are going to need a second license to take a second bushel. Read the regs that RJ posted. 2 people on board with licenses, 2 bushel. 1person on board with a license IN ADDITION TO a licensed boat. That means that the licesned person and the licensed boat cannot be counted as the same. IN ADDITION TO

If there is someone else on borad buy the $5 license or if they already have a Tidal License it's only $2. If you're coming from out of state, buy it online the night before and print it out.

It's much easier than fighting with DNR on the water and certainly easier than having to go court to settle it as well.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts