Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the east side of the flats near rocky point on saturday morning. Started around 6:30. Chased some birds for about a half hour, managed 4 shorts, had a couple of follows & lost a nice one (maybe 22") at the boat due to a hung-over net man. Moved down to Turkey Point... schools of bait everywhere, but didn't even get a bite. Ran down to Howell Point, caught 2 blues around 16". Also caught 3 big catfish there on a popper and a rattle trap.

Threw lures all day, no bait.

Fishing wasn't outstanding, but it couln't have been a better day on the water.

·
Registered
143 Posts
flats

i fished from 7:30 - 10:30 am around the barge area ..
had lots of marks on the finder..
only managed 2 shorts and a perch..
made a run up the north east river for an hour or so...
few marks no bites..
back to the same barge area.. no marks..
found the marks again alittle futher north on the va hosp side near the railroad bridge..
3 or 4 short hits vertical giging.
on the way back in.. marked some fish out in front of the light house on the harve de grace side.. 1 perch..
bottom bounce all sorts of lead and twister tails all day ..
perfect day on the water..
saw 5 or 6 boats trolling..
over heard one talking to another passer-by ..
telling them they caught a 1 ... 24 inch rock

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Sunday afternoon/evening wasn't any better. Hadn't fish the flats since spring figured I'd give it a try for a change of pace. Bad idea. Hit most of the points with no success. Finally caught a few shorts and a small blue in the rip at Sandy Pt. Got tired of dodging the boats that decided to anchor on top of the rip instead of drifting like everyone else. :nono: Was a beatiful day out on the water though.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I fished Sunday afternoon/evening as well with similar results...I fished around Perry Point and the east side since the west side was very dirty for some reason. Caught some shorts. There are loads of nice size perch out there though.... just vertical jig a sting silver and have fun.

·
Registered
755 Posts
If you guys can find a spot with no boat traffic you should be in like flint. I had lots of action on the Elk but all the Sunday boaters out criusing would just chase them away. Had one muscle boat come up into the 4 ft I was in checked out what we were doing and swamp it back out. Gotta smile and grin then hope you can return the favor when you see them over heated from sucking up mud

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah... the go-fasts are still a nuisance. Jet-skiers shut me down twice on Sunday; they're why i eventually moved down to the Sass. Cant wait for both the water and air temps to drop and chase em all out.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I've found tons of marks just outside the rivers, holding deep in the channels. Most the marks were in 45' marking from 25'-40'. See my report from yesterday outside of the Sass. I had marks today but only one short hit. Inside the river perch, cats and shorts abound. I'm curious why the fish are holding so deep even with the water temps dropping.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the warm days is keeping the surface temps up. I had 68 at one point sunday on the east edge of the flats... 66 everywhere else. After 4 days of almost 80 degree air temps, it might be a little longer before things really pick up.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I think the warm days is keeping the surface temps up. I had 68 at one point sunday on the east edge of the flats... 66 everywhere else. After 4 days of almost 80 degree air temps, it might be a little longer before things really pick up.
thats right... with all of the boat traffic & the super hot temps... it isn't worth fishing the flats at all. No fish up there to catch anyhow....:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got my blues at Howell Point which is at the southern point of the Sass. There were small schools of them swimming around. When we would catch one a bunch would follow to the boat. Lost lots of tails off of BA's & BKD's... so they're definately out there. We ended up switching over to hard-baits for that reason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts