Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I headed out on the Choptank Saturday morning and was pleasantly surprised by the mild weather and beautiful sunrise. We threw topwater early managing only three throwbacks. About 8:30 I abandoned the banks and ran into the fleet fishing the channel. There was a ton of birds, a ton of bait, a ton of boats but not many breakers. The depth finder was marking plenty of fish up in the top 10' of the water column over 25-35'. So I put away the metal and started throwing bkd's and topwater around the balls of bunker, but struck out. At about this time I was getting frustrated and figured they were just dinks like I've seen there before and headed further up the Choptank.

Ran about two miles up the river from the fleet trying to get a jump on the outgoing tide, slowed down to a drift to see what the current was doing. By now the birds were starting to sit-down in large groups and while watching the floating flocks we started noticing individual (1) fish bust the surface and the "splashes" would be minutes apart , more than likely you wouldn't be able to see them traveling at speed. We quietly made our way over to the vicinity of the "old splash" and 70% of the time we could find the fish within 50' to 100' of the splash we saw an min or two before. We threw large topwaters (7") and large sub-walk baits on light casting gear and ended up doing well with several fish fish in the 24-26" range and a bunch of low 20 er's. The water was fairly clear and they would follow a hooked fish up to the boat and pound the other angler's lure not 10' from the boat, what a sight to see. Spotting the isolated pods of fish (under sitting birds) and throwing large baits ( to keep the small ones out of the mix) proved to be the ticket for us on Saturday.

We tired a little within the fleet on the way back out the Choptank but couldn't find the same class of fish so we called it day by 2pm and headed back across the bay completely content.

??? Quick question for the group, besides the balls of bunker I also noticed large schools of 2-3" long,thin,straight silver "herring" looking bait fish, along with schools 1" brownish "minnow" looking bait. Any ideas as to the type of bait? (poor description I know).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great job Joshua. Did well around those surface splashes on Sunday evening too.

I think you were seeing bay anchovies and silversides...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts