1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
:bigfish::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
WHAT AN AWESOME FISH.......New state leader I believe........

You would think after catching so many that someone would be doing some catch and release on the larger FEMALE spawners.......isn't there a citation on length for catch and release? just my worthless .02........

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
yes its 24 inches.....RELEASE............

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Thats good to hear Greg....that guy is a beast!!! I am sure you understand where I am coming from on the concern for the spawners.......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe it is shallow of me to want the paper on a Speckled Trout of a lifetime.

I am aware of how the releases work, and have done five so far this year. All five releases were tagged, as are the majority of the drum and trout that I catch.

I fish with a scale as I am sure many of you do. I have a hard time believing that if you had the opportunity to lead the state you would opt for the release. Maybe I am mistaken.

I obviously now regret killing my three leading up until now. I VERY much wish I would have taken the release on them. It was stupid.

I do agree with you guys, and I am not trying to create an argument where people blast each-other for page after page.

My .02

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would also like to add that the carcasses of the trout I have killed this year have gone to a grad student named Stacy at Old Dominion University. You may remember the thread from a few months back.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Last I read there was only a minimum length in regards to retention. I find it hard to believe someone would suggest you release the state leading speck not to mention your personal best in regards to size. Congrats on the catch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
that fish is a hoss - pretty work. when i get a 10 lber in the ditch its gonna die too. dont sweat the high and mighty around here, just keep on fishin.

·
Registered
526 Posts
give the guy a brake, if it was a 70 lb striper would you through her back? i think not so i congratulate mr. trafton and happy fishing

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Awesome job dude! I doubt I would have been able to release the state leader myself. I don't have a problem with having the conservation conversation but shouldn't we really be congratulating the guy on the fish of a lifetime and save it for another post?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Congrats on the beautiful speck. Just curious.... how old do you think that fish is and is it possible it was near the end of it's lifespan anyway? If it was me probably would have gone in the box but would be easier if I knew the fish was nearing it's lifespan.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts