Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After watching the weather and my schedule for the last week, I made the decision to go fishing today and bring along my son. I started late to catch the high tide and a warmer start... I also let my son get a couple more hours of sleep.

We arrived at the dock at 9:00 am, loaded up the boat and after a trip to the gas dock at Turkey Point (89 @ 2.36 per gallon) we finally hit the bay about 10:30.... right about when the wind started to pick up.

I wasn't marking much south of Thomas Point, so I made the run over to Eastern Bay. I was hoping it would be calmer over there.... It wasn't. By the time we reached Eastern Bay it was blowing pretty hard. I dropped in my 5 rod trolling spread and started to search. It was difficult to hold a straight path and a few times it felt like my bow was pointed straight up and then kissing the crest of the next wave. I wouldn't have been out in anything smaller that is for sure.

I noticed a few Birds NW of Poplar and made my way over. When we got in the area the birds started going nuts. We picked up a nice fish right away and while my son was fighting his fish, two more rods went down. It was so rough I stayed at the helm and my son was on his own. I did grab the net for the first fish at my sons request and netted a 29" Rockfish. I went back to the wheel and my son went to the other rods. We picked up 4 fish on this pass, a 29", 22, 20" and a 16" of which the smaller two went back.

We put out the lines again and started to work back through the same area. We picked up another 23" and then noticed the birds forming up agian. We headed back that way and picked up a 26 1/2" and lost another while it was waiting to be pulled in.

At this point we pulled in the trolling stuff and tried to LTJ, but it was hard just to stand. We had our limit, so we called it a day as I knew it would be a slow pounding back across the bay.

I guess we actually fished for 2 hours tops and was bounced around the whole time. The fish bit on pretty much everything. I was fishing chartruese bucktails with 6" shads and also 6" storm shads. I also had a couple smaller bucktails with 4" shads.

I didn't have a camera on board, but I did take a couple pictures when I got home.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Nice catch Ray and son. Even getting your butt kicked the report sounded like you guys had fun. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
no doubt about it a rough ride out today, good to see some nice stripers.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Hey Ray,

good talking with you today.

is that $2.36 the marine price (I know you said gas dock)?. I need gas and that's a good price on the water.
How far up in the river to get to turkey point?
what marina is it?

Thanks a lot.:D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To all,
Thanks for the kind words.

One Fish,
Yes that was the Marina Price... It was a nice surprise. Turkey Point Marina is your first left as you enter in the South River. I think that is considered Selby Bay. Watch the channel markers going in. The Gas Dock is on the left side of the bay, but off to the right of the small bridge.

*Note - I saw a sign that said they are closed Monday and Tuesday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts