Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I caught this massive jack crevalle at dawn in a channel near Key West. We were looking for rolling tarpon and cast a 10" white Hogy soft plastic tail to bait disturbances. The fish hit hard and pulled hard for 20 to 30 minutes, while dragging my kayak around. We knew it was not a tarpon as it never jumped. Eventually I got it to the kayak where it measured 31" (my longest jack by 10"). It is one of the hardest and longest fights I have had on a spinning rod.

Water Boat Watercraft Paddle Sports equipment

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,366 Posts
I wonder if that's what hit M's rod when we got married in The Keys in 1995. I thought it was a Snook, but it took line off my 4/0 Penn Senator like it was gonna be declared illegal any minute.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,366 Posts

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I caught this massive jack crevalle at dawn in a channel near Key West. We were looking for rolling tarpon and cast a 10" white Hogy soft plastic tail to bait disturbances. The fish hit hard and pulled hard for 20 to 30 minutes, while dragging my kayak around. We knew it was not a tarpon as it never jumped. Eventually I got it to the kayak where it measured 31" (my longest jack by 10"). It is one of the hardest and longest fights I have had on a spinning rod.

View attachment 283230
Nice one John. Did it fight harder then a bluefish the same size?

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Nice one John. Did it fight harder then a bluefish the same size?
I caught bluefish between 33" and 39" from my kayak in 2015 - one of them is shown below.

Hypodermic needle Automotive lighting Fin Fish Hood

Undoubtedly they fight hard, but cannot begin to compare with that 31" jack. I have never caught a cobia so cannot compare to that. But jacks pull harder than any other Chesapeake fish of the same length that I have caught.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I caught bluefish between 33" and 39" from my kayak in 2015 - one of them is shown below.

View attachment 283234

Undoubtedly they fight hard, but cannot begin to compare with that 31" jack. I have never caught a cobia so cannot compare to that. But jacks pull harder than any other Chesapeake fish of the same length that I have caught.
Thank you John. That is what I also know. I caught many of them when we lived in FL. Also caught many bluefish when we lived on Kent Island when every one was catching large bluefish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts