Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crew: My brother Nevin, Capt. Pete Bregant, Billy (*******) and his buddy Steve.
Plan: Tog fish when the current was slacking, drift eels, and cast at the islands.

We cleared the jetties at Little Creek @ 8:30, headed into a little NW breeze/chop and headed past the 4th to do some togging. As we pulled up, Rebel was there on the Changes Made and we saw him land a tog before the current started ripping.

So, we rigged 3 eels on float rigs and 2 more near the bottom and drifted from the bayside of the high rise out towards the red bouys on the ocean side. Decent bait marks, but no fish on'em... well, at least none that wanted our eels!

As the current slacked, we moved back to our spot. After the Coast Guard asking us to untie from the pilings, we anchored up-tide and drifted back.. laying the boat alongside... holding ourselves off withour hands. We were close enough to scrape a bunch of mussels/barnacles off the pilings, and I think that helped. When the current was almost slack, it WENT OFF. Pete and I threw 7 fish in the boat in a 5 minute window... all in the 4 -6 pound range... then the wind/current changed... and we couldn't get back on'em.

After that, we moved to the 4th, 3rd and 2nd islands and found NO LOVE from the stripers... WAY frustrating! A smooth ride in as the sun fell below the horizon... great way to end the day.

Now, "The one that got away"... My marina had turned off the water (SUCKS!), so we headed to Cobbs to clean the fish. BEWARE of the holes in the cleaning table! A nice 6 lb. Tog found it's way into the hole as I was tossing fish on the table. The damned things are hard enough to catch... to watch one "get away" down the fish-gut tube will MAKE YOU MAD!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Al...that Tog bite was red hot!! Just wish it would have lasted a little longer. By the way, that's a helluva way to lose a big tog:eek:

Ed

·
Registered
95 Posts
That stinks about the tog. I ran into the same thing with my marina yesterday as well. Caught a limit of rockfish, boat is filthy and covered with salt, and they have the water turned off on the docks and the fish cleaning station. What a pain in the a$$. However, it turned out to be a beautiful day and I was lucky enough to catch some fish!

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
al just consider it re-cycling. got look @ the bright side ya still had 6.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Thanks for the trip Al. Steve was so stoked to fish with you and Pete he really appreciated it. It was great meeting your brother to. Can't wait to do it again. We cooked them up last night and they were good to along with oysters, scallops, and the shrimp.:clap::clap:

Now the one that got away. HMMMMMMM! :D:clap:

·
Registered
92 Posts
We saw your boat and chumlord out there and figured we must be in the right place but they wouldn't cooperate for us either. 3 dinks. Good to be on the water anyway. Next time!

Blake

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Nice work on the Togs I luv it when the toggin' is hot like that We didn't have and luck on the Rockfish either four day weekend coming up with nice Wx try try again!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts