Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For two years Capt Dave and I have been trying to get The Bruce onboard to teach us carp. He was taught by a master carper that has fished with us and is half The Bruce's age. It seemed to me that the art is a passed down thing..In any case we learned a lot and I am very grateful for the knowledge. Thank you The Bruce.

Caught about 24 on a warm fall day. Winds light from the south made a warmer experience too.

Here are some pics. Oh and I bought some more tackle for carp..

Thanks

Capt Mike

Capt Dave

· Premium Member
26,894 Posts
Carp get a bad rap in the USA. Overseas - there are Carp fanatics. They rent spaces along rivers - staying 24 hours sometimes for 1-2 bites.

Some Carp have been given names - caught time after time by crafty anglers. All sorts of special rigging , alarms on rods , special baits.

Those guys would be in heaven over here.

· Registered
586 Posts
Carp get a bad rap in the USA. Overseas - there are Carp fanatics. They rent spaces along rivers - staying 24 hours sometimes for 1-2 bites.

Some Carp have been given names - caught time after time by crafty anglers. All sorts of special rigging , alarms on rods , special baits.

Those guys would be in heaven over here.
I was given an Englishman to show around here some years back.

On the Queen's dime.

He was an AVID fisherman and took fishing holidays all over Europe.
Told me some cool stories about catching giant wels catfish.

We were at Conowingo and he was HORRIFIED how carp were treated here.

Turns out, he was a carp fan.
He told me about hair rigs, secret family boilie recipes, chumming for carp AFTER drugging chum eating ducks, having electronic bite detectors ring your pager, while you were drinking warm beer in the streamside pub, weighing carp wet, in bags, so as not to injure them.

I DID get him on a couple smallmouth, which were on his bucket list. But couldn't get him on a big reddrum. Took him shooting too.
Got to.the point where his wife started calling, to.make sure he was ever coming home.

Clincher was, we stopped in Danny's.( World's Greatest Hamburgers!(NOT!!!)
In that most cosmopolitan of towns, Waldorf, to grab lunch one day.

He was already going on about how great things were here.

When, I **** you not, a bus of college cheerleaders going to some competition in DC stopped in. At Danny's!

He was googled-eyed!
" Does this happen everyday?"

"It does in America!'

After he was back in England, I sent him.a link to Cactus Jack's carp fishing site. ( If any of you remember it, was local)

In reply, he gave me the second greatest compliment I have ever received;

" They say there's over 300 million people in America, and while, I haven't met them all, so far, you're the biggest *******!"

· Registered
425 Posts
As info. Carp were introduced to the US at our Druid Hill Park from China. They spread from here when their eggs stuck to the legs of wading birds and fell off in other waters.
Don’t know if this is still legal or if it still goes on but they used to shoot them with bows off the rt. 450 bridge outside of Annapolis. There was a big fishery for them many years ago around the Potee St. bridge by Cherry Hill inSouth Baltimore. They used corn and home made dough balls for bait.

· Registered
12,500 Posts
Years ago, I was walking the shore of a tidal cove looking for Bass.I was armed with an ultra light with a hook and a live night crawler. The water was clear and I spotted a carp cruising the shoreline in the same directionI was walking.I cast the crawler a few feet in front of Carp and he immediately saw it and sped up to inhale it. It was quite a fight on 6# test . it was somewhere between 15-20#. I thougt a minte after releasing the Carp about a trip I made to the Fla.Keys the last winter to fish for Bone fish. The hunt was the same except by boat and I was sight casting a shrimp in front of Bone fish, the trip was a few grand heavier but the hunt and results were the same. They both faught hard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts