Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got up bright and early, or I should say dark and early. I decided to take the 24 mile ride south and try some trolling again, the water temps along the way (in most places)were about one degree colder then on Thanksgiving. I put out my five rod spread, I must be spoiled from my last trip when I caught a 40" within a half hour, this time it took over two hours before a rod bent down, I started to reel in and something didn,t feel right,I didn,t feel a fish fighting, it felt like I snagged a crab pot, I kept reeling in, then the line caught another rod and pulled it out of the holder and it fell right in the water, I didn,t think I would ever see that rod again, I kept reeling and I noticed three umbrellas and I realized I had a tangle, but then I also noticed a fat 28" on one of the umbrellas and also my rod that fell in was attached, My own fault for not paying attention to my rods, the fish was probally on there for a while and swam around the other lines..I got that mess in and then tried some jigging with no luck
Nice day to be out on the water, nice and calm

·
Registered
75 Posts
WOW, That looks like something I had yesterday when some rookies came right across my bow. Where did you launch at? I thought you are the jigging master. Surprised to see you trolling.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Great to hear you got the rod back but what you described is exactly why trolling sucks. You had a nice fish on and you didn't even know it. Plus you had a mess and when you reeled in the fish, you still didn't even know you had it. Why don't we just all go trolling up inside the Patapsco and snag a bunch of plastic bags. They'll fight similar to any trolled fish.

But when it works, and it often does, it can be fun. Nice fish, especially yesterdays fish.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about how good that fish would had fought if it was on light tackle. I think it was mostly just tired from swimming around for so long, I didn't expect such a small fish to hit a 9" shad (he had the whole thing in its mouth). Im used to bigger fish hitting it and then hearing the drag. Theres really not much else to do up this way but to troll, Im sure I could catch them casting/jigging but it would be a lot of casting for just a fish or two, after having 100 fish days, I really don't want to work to hard for them.
argus, I launched at rocky pt.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Fishin

Your umbrella photo reminded me of why I enjoy LTJ and light tackle trolling with tandem rigs. It can definitely get messy................long run down the bay from the cut.....had to be cold. Try any jigging at the BB ??

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Dont have to worry about that kind of mess while LTJ:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts