Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Started the day trying to find a few remaining spot with no luck so I decided to put out the planner boards to see what I could hopefully troll up.

It was a beautiful day on the bay! Water temps varied from 56-58 degrees. Wind was light and the water was calm.

The day started off tough. Went just north of the bridge, got my planner boards out and started to put my spread out. I got one rod out and I looked out and one of my boards is almost submerged under a huge clump of seaweed. I stopped and pulled in the boards in disgust and decided to just troll off the back for a while. Then bang, my white umbrella rig 180 feet back started bouncing. I worked hard to drag it in (summer livelining has me spoiled) and it produced a nice fat heavy 29 incher. I was optimistic so I put my boards back out ( a combo of white tandem bucktails w/ shad tails, chartruese parachutes / shad tails, and Tony Spoon and bucktail combo). Not long after a white tandem 160 feet back all the way out on the boards got hit. I reeled in a fat 25 incher. I missed one other fish and then the bite died. I was marking some decent fish though through out the day. All day I was weaving between 40 - 60 feet deep and stayed on the eastern side between the bridge and almost up to Tolchester. All in all, it was a great day! Here are a few pictures.

Mark

·
Registered
451 Posts
Nice report. Personally, I feel almost sad that it's trolling time. However, I'll still play around with the fly all fall.

Pete

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Can't complain about that! How deep were the fish? (i.e. - did you use a lot of weight?)

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fishcrazy & goose70,

Thank you! With the exception of one 20oz Chesapeake Bay lure that was running deep most of my stuff should have been running between 8 and 20 feet. I did not use any inline weights at all yesterday. One of the best things I learned from Skip (27 sailfish) about trolling when I fished with him that is often overlooked is to ride around a little first before you put your spread out and see what depth you are seeing the bulk of the fish at. You then taylor your spread to run at that depth. It sounds stupid but that can make a big difference. I am sure lot of people (previously myself included) go out and put out their spread the same way whether the fish are at 15 feet or whether they are at 35 feet deep. Yesterday I was seeing most of the stuff on my scope between 10 and 20 feet so I fished up higher.

David,

Thanks! Those planner boards were made by Skip (27 sailfish) and I love them! They are well constructed, they run great and have never flipped on me in in heavy waves! He even provided the flags and will make up the strings and clips on a nice hand crank spool for an additional cost (which I recommend if he still does it?)

Mark

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
All right Mark!:thumbup: Nice job with the trolling and some nice fish. Spent the day jigging all up and down the bay with with fellow TFer Mark1234 with some results, but not as good as yours. The weather and waves were just right for Novemeber.... Don

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Mark,

Sweet report!! :rockingreport: :bigfish:

Its good to hear that I wont have to schlep dow to Solomons or even Chesapeake Beach at this point. Thanks for the intel, and for passing along Skips tip about cruizing aorund and marking them before deploying. :thumbup:

That spot from the Sewer pipe on up north of the bridge on the eastern side is where we wer getting them trolling early last summer before the bluefish invasion. Before we were so rudely interrupted by the blues, the hot lure for us was 5" & 6" golden mullet Storms.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hot damn, nice fish! Don't worry about what Ralph said, that's the same look my wife gives me when I tell her I'm going fishing with Evans...

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Nice catching - some fat looking Rock there :clapping2:. Good to hear of fish still near Love Point :thumbup:.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys!

Smile, Mark - - looks like you are still pissed about Thurs night's results
Ralph,

Trust me, I was not happy about the Terps at all:rolleyes: It was probably a good thing I was at Nighttime Pediatrics getting my daughter stitches after she and her sister decided to get into shoving match with our frosted glass bathroom door!

I actually just couldn't smile anymore after holding those fish in that position for 5 minutes while my daughter figured out the camera. Those darn fish were heavy!!!:D

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts