Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you will flame but o well! I have been following this buck for a few weeks now but could get no closer than 75 yards or so. I caught him dead in his tracks leaving the field where I had my feeder till yesterday. Perfect broad side shot but he was far out. I aimmed high real high and slammed him right in the left lung took 2 steps and fell dead. So to all who think 100 yards with a crossbow is impossible think again. Well off to drop him off at the taxidermist.[excited]

·
Registered
61 Posts
That is the farthest bowshot that I've ever heard of. Wow! You definitely rolled the dice on that one!

MAYBE I may try a shot out to 50 yards. But I doubt it. Don't want to wound one.

Do you have a scope on the crossbow?

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland

·
Registered
61 Posts
Were you worried about wounding it when you took that shot?

I'm not asking you this to "flame" you, I just would like to know your level of comfort. Have you shot at 100 yard targets before, or was this "dead reckoning....."

I have a good sense of trajectory with my compound bow, and I actually shoot tighter groups at thirty yards -vs- twenty yards. Of course, those yardages are "pinned". Further yardage would be "estimated" such as what you have successfully accomplished....

......go figure

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I practice at targets at 100 yards on a reg basis so I am very comftrable with a 100 yard shot. Now it depends on the wind for the most part it must calm so you are only dealing with arrow drop not drop and windage. I was an Army sniper so shooting at very long ranges was something I have had a lot of practice with. Most people had the belief there would not be enough energy to kill the deer at that range. My arrow passed through. I was at Bass Pro this afternoon and they happened to have a video going of a guy out west shooting a compond bow well over 100 yards and killed an Elk. Most people don't practice at those ranges so it seems far from their reach or just impossible. It can be done and is done quite offten.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well.....

I have a third, unused pin on my sight, I think that I'll go out in the backyard this A.M. and see what I can do at 50 yards with it. I was going to eventuallly sight that third pin at 40 yards, but I am now re-evaluating my maximum engagement range. Currently, it is at 30 yards.

One question. I shoot about a 460 grain arrow with a 3 blade Muzzy. My chronograph indicates 219 feet per second at 20 yards, will this be enough kinetic energy for a pass thru on a deer at 50 yards? I know crossbows shoot much faster, my PSE only has a 60lb draw....

Don't worry guys. If I can't be consistent with broadhead groupings at 50 yards, I won't take a deer at that range.

Kindest regards,

-Will in Maryland

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Now need to worry about a pass thru. I think the broadhead will do more damage if you don't get a pass thru. When the arrow shaft hits trees and other stuff the broadhead in side should be cuttin up stuff.

DEAN

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It cut a nasty hole. The point was it had more than enough energy to do the job. You could not shot that far in the woods this was in a field. I would not take a shot like that if it were not a clear shooting lane with no obstructions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm back in from slinging arrpws at my yellow jacket broadhead target. Happy to report that I'm hitting the block at 50 yards, but my groupings need more work. I'm giving it a little break, and then will shoot a little more this evening.

I'm tired of walking back and forth retrieving my arrows out of the target...... [tongue]

PS: I do know that if the broadhead stays in the deer, it will do damage as Dean mentioned. Pass thru's provide better blood trails most of the time, I want to be able to punch through at 50 yards. Only one way to find out, once I can group better...

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland

·
Registered
490 Posts
That's sweet...no doubt the arrow would do some damage out that far. Just a matter of hitting it.

That's almost as lucky as my hail mary that took a nice buck a few shotgun seasons ago. 167 yds...smooth bore...open sights. backbone and lungs...dropped without a whimper.

CONGRATS!!

let's see some pictures.

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts