Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oops, should be 12/9/05

Rut still going on in Caroline County VA! Went out Friday and once I got in the stand a spike ran across the field and sat under my stand for five minutes. Then a 6 point came out with his head down trailing a doe and went right up the swamp edge and then disappeared again. Wind was blowing right in my face and I knew I was in for a special hunt already.

About ten minutes later out pops one doe, then another, then another, and I'm thinking where is Mr Boss Hog ? Then another doe pops out and comes out into the field and lays down - and I'm thinking who has been working her so hard ?

Then I see him in the shadows. A glint off the antlers as he rubs on a tree. Comes out and noses the doe laying down. Another glint and I am seeing antlers outside of his ears. My teeth and legs are shaking so bad I start telling myself to get it together under my breath.

Then, one of the does remembers that I left some standing corn in the field behind me, and she runs into the field and starts across for it. Mr. Boss Hog looks at her and wonders why one of his harem is walking away. Can't have that, so he ambles towards her into the field and I'm thinking keep on coming brotha. He keeps on coming and remembers the corn. Slowly he works my way and I am now beading him at 100 yards, 75, 60.... He gets under 50 and he is still coming. I start the "Let him come" dialog so I don't shoot too early. He gets to 15 yards and I whack him to the ground with 2 3/4 " Copper Plated - first shot in the heart ( he jumped and did that I'm shot in the heart kick ) and second in the lungs. Down and not moving. I say out loud, Is this real ? I reload, making sure he is down, sit there five minutes. Then, I unload and come down from the stand. Two of the does are still out in front of me at 30 yards. They finally run off.

7 Points and 21 1/2 wide - and I am going to see the taxidermist. All those hours building stands, planting rye and clover, and sitting and watching come to fruition. I look to the sky and thank the man above for the opportunity. I figure I have 500 hours in this buck, and he may be the best one I ever shoot as I tend to make little errors that keep the big ones alive.

Can someone post the picture for me - b mail me.

Feeshon aboard the Jezebel II [grin]

http://www.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=33305888/a=36116959_36116959/t_=36116959

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Notice the famous hound Ole Moon Eye in the picture, she can see into the densest swamp.

Feeshon [tongue]

·
Registered
149 Posts
How can I be da man.........when YOU DA MAN!!!!!

Loved the story Mole. I can see you up there tryin' to control the foam coming out of your mouth, the noise from your shakin' legs, and the itch of your trigger finger. Great job pullin' it together and harvesting one beautiful buck.

I'm planning on deer hunting Friday. I was going to go grouse hunting, but the weather is looking dicey and your picture has me foaming. I'm rockfishing on Saturday. You interested? I think I'm heading out on Glenn's boat to fish the ocean. Let me know via business mail or mobile.

PD

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
That is a great deer. Nice job. If that would have been a straight six, it would have taken state. Very nice. People who put in as much effort as you have usually get rewarded. Congrats!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts