Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left New point @ 8 water was pretty and decided to run up the bay till I saw birds working or arrived at Cut Channel.
Just before we got to Rapp River, There were birds Everywhere for miles! We dropped lines and caught 10-12" fish, picked up and ran to middle of bay-still in birds, caught 12" fish, moved south, finally caught a 22 but still alot of throw backs.. Long story short, moved alot caught one more keeper. Could see Shiners every were we went (the minnows spanish mackeral eat) and lots of small rock crashing into them ( could see the fish feeding 2-3' down) Tide just didn't get back running- Left water @2.
Pretty discouraged right now.. Not sure I will fish tomorrow . But did hear of a few bigger fish- 28-30-34 and a 45.. TONS of boats

·
Registered
365 Posts
mmbt

Left New point @ 8 water was pretty and decided to run up the bay till I saw birds working or arrived at Cut Channel.
Just before we got to Rapp River, There were birds Everywhere for miles! We dropped lines and caught 10-12" fish, picked up and ran to middle of bay-still in birds, caught 12" fish, moved south, finally caught a 22 but still alot of throw backs.. Long story short, moved alot caught one more keeper. Could see Shiners every were we went (the minnows spanish mackeral eat) and lots of small rock crashing into them ( could see the fish feeding 2-3' down) Tide just didn't get back running- Left water @2.
Pretty discouraged right now.. Not sure I will fish tomorrow . But did hear of a few bigger fish- 28-30-34 and a 45.. TONS of boats
you asked me if I was fishing today/ another fine day on the water. Fished the Monitor Merimac for 3-4 hours NADA Ran down to JRB-NADA Ran up river 6-7 miles,NADA- Thinking seriously about putting boat up for the year

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly I heard on radio seine netters have been in bay. I know the radio carries ALOT of BS..... BUT , there are few keeper sized fish.
Few menhaden to draw ocean fish in. Just plian kinda sucks!
250$ gas (1/2 tank , several trips) has me thinking I made mistake not moving to a Sportsman friendly state last yr.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Similar story. Just small fish for us today at 59A, San Marcos wreck, and Cut Channel. But at least most of the throwbacks were 18-19 inches. Saw quite a few boats stop trolling and cast to the small fish near the surface. Gonna try again tomorrow.
Tom

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Sadly I heard on radio seine netters have been in bay. I know the radio carries ALOT of BS..... BUT , there are few keeper sized fish.
Few menhaden to draw ocean fish in. Just plian kinda sucks!
250$ gas (1/2 tank , several trips) has me thinking I made mistake not moving to a Sportsman friendly state last yr.
Sorry Charlie, but we fished the lower bay today without much success. However, the bait was thick almost all day long.; at times the bait balls covered the entire screen. Regardless, the stripers were not down this far in the bay.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not that it matters to some, Care to share if you have newer FF? My 2 cents--I have seen what shows as heavy bait on my FF. But .. When running multi-screen It shows 2 very different things! No menhaden. I too have also been over eastern shore dropping eels. When I showed some experienced fishermen difference they were shocked! And they see why- when the screen shows fish /bait- it is not truly what is there. (just my opinion- but big rock can not live on shiners).
I hope I am wrong! But I see little to no menhaden! Ran over 60 miles today

·
Registered
788 Posts
The bite in most places has shut down alot in the past 2 days from what i hear. But, for the most part we get alot of fish close to home anywhere from 12"-42" all season. I would never run to the cut unless i was in serious need of a big tournament fish. Learn your local waters and what works and it pays big. Myself and a few select friends have done well with burning almost zero fuel this year and always on very short trips in many different areas. Hell I have been fishing my 13ft skiff all fall for striper. The fishery is not great and the fish do get lock jaw at times , but some are around. Btw they eat alot of shinners , baby crabs, and mantis shrimp. Thanks for all the reports!!!!

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We were LT casting to them. I keep 2 LT rods rigged. Fun for a while but after 40 or so 10-14" fish. Not much fun.
Hoping to find some 24 to 28". 2 yrs ago the fish I caught All had very small Crab. --1 fish this yr had a mantis, Was normal to see Mantis many yrs ago.
Not saying they don't eat small, But the bigger rock- I used to catch them with with 6-8-10" Menhaden in them sometimes a Keeper sized croaker or 2.
Good to hear a few small fish are in lower bay.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Similar story. Just small fish for us today at 59A, San Marcos wreck, and Cut Channel. But at least most of the throwbacks were 18-19 inches. Saw quite a few boats stop trolling and cast to the small fish near the surface. Gonna try again tomorrow.
Tom
Tom, several of my old fishing buddies left the bay and ran back up into Rapp. They did better there.
I had intended to run to Eastern shore side also, but 2 reports told us it was same there.. Was pretty wierd the Birds just cut off 3 miles above Wolftrap light
Decided to run down bay for a look around- did see a few birds sitting on water below York spit, But 40 mph had my nose running and eyes watering ( Guy still has not done my plastic) - report of few fish made me head back to the barn .

·
Registered
599 Posts
Appreciate the report just the same. Hopefully all these dues you're paying are rewarded soon.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Decided not to fish today, but wanted to say At times screen was loaded with smaller fish, would say a many as 75-100 at times.
Not often, but did mark what appeared to be bigger fish feeding on small bait "humps". I just could not "getum" to bite.
Thanks for Pm's!
I plan to knock down the grass one last time before cold sets in.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The bite in most places has shut down alot in the past 2 days from what i hear. But, for the most part we get alot of fish close to home anywhere from 12"-42" all season. I would never run to the cut unless i was in serious need of a big tournament fish. Learn your local waters and what works and it pays big. Myself and a few select friends have done well with burning almost zero fuel this year and always on very short trips in many different areas. Hell I have been fishing my 13ft skiff all fall for striper. The fishery is not great and the fish do get lock jaw at times , but some are around. Btw they eat alot of shinners , baby crabs, and mantis shrimp. Thanks for all the reports!!!!
Yeah, thanks for all the reports. Nothing personal, don't know you but have see your occasional post describing what a great angler you are but have never seen one of your live fishing reports? Obviously you are around reading everyone else's. Would be nice to see those that take, give back a little every now and then for those of us that are not expert anglers and still trying to hone our craft.

Yeah probably a little striper frustration coming out as I don't think I have so much as sniffed a striper in the lower bay in two years.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Lol, thats exactly why you never see my reports. I never said i was great and i sure as hell am not putting my certain holes that i fish on the internet! If i was fishing open water then i would gladly tell you where i fish. I learned how to catch these fish on my own and with a buddy and not by reading reports online. The lure i use the most is something that i had never seen or heard or being used in this area. I tried new things and it worked. All i am saying is for anyone running 30 miles each way if the time is spent there are a decent amount of striper in the rap, york, and james from day one of the season. This fishery is hit or miss due to them baving lockjaw. Sorry to offend

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I know entourage personally and he has had 100+ fish days fishing out of those three rivers this season. Most people on this site struggle to fine tune their craft cause they only try one technique, trolling. Insanity is trying the same thing over again with the same result.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lol, thats exactly why you never see my reports. I never said i was great and i sure as hell am not putting my certain holes that i fish on the internet! If i was fishing open water then i would gladly tell you where i fish. I learned how to catch these fish on my own and with a buddy and not by reading reports online. The lure i use the most is something that i had never seen or heard or being used in this area. I tried new things and it worked. All i am saying is for anyone running 30 miles each way if the time is spent there are a decent amount of striper in the rap, york, and james from day one of the season. This fishery is hit or miss due to them baving lockjaw. Sorry to offend
Your are correct most do not focus on resident populations. And I do understand you view on not sharing holes/ technique.
As you can see your reply is a bit of a slam to many here that do the standard. As, I am pretty sure it was meant to be and a bit of bragging.
(something fishermen never do :hysterical: )
A generic post and Pic may be a better method of "giving some hope"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts