Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We left the Dock at about 12pm from fishing creek out of Chesapeake Beach and made our way to the area that I hooked up last weekend. We dropped the lines in about 40' of water and started a south east troll towards the Shipping Channel (western edge). We reached about 50-55' of water up on the ledge where the channel has a nice bend (almost lined up between black walnut point and the radar towers) we trolled that upper ledge for about an hour and no luck. There were a few boats in the area doing the same thing. I made a call to "Pearl" at Tylers Tackle to ask if she had heard any chatter on the radios, she hadnt, but suggested i turn down my idle and slow the boat to 2-2.5 knots if possible, I was trolling at about 3 or so. I told where i was trolling and she knew exactly where is was based on land coordinates i mentioned. She suggested I make a turn and head in to about 45' of water. She is extremely knowledgable and I followed her suggestion. I adjusted my idle and made my turn. Just as we hit about 48' of water FISH ON!! I ofcourse grabbed the rod and began the fight. My buddy Mike was stearing the boat and watching the fight with intensity. This fish was a little more aggressive than last weeks 43" er and gave me a few good runs. The fish definetly put up a good fight and was trying to get the lined wrapped on the prop but i managed to keep him away. Got him to the side of the boat and noticed he wasnt hooked all that great so I grabbed him under the gill and hoisted him up. I really do need to invest in a good net, but for know im managing. I wish I would have let my buddy Mike grab the rod because that was the only fish we got all day. He has had his share of big fish so he was content and it was team effort for sure. The fish measured 36" and approx. 20lbs, FAT FISH!! The Tackle was a #21 beat up, scrapped up, white Tony. 24oz of weight and 12 bars (120') back.

Big Thanks to "Pearl of the Bay" for her knowledge. They dont call her Pearl of the Bay for nothing. She knows her stuff and has been fishing these waters for over 30 years. Im glad she shared that info with me and put us on this fish. Thank you Pearl!! and I cant forget to thank the Good Lord for a safe trip and this hook up also!

Attachments

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Very nice fish! It's not the size of the fish in the fight ........it's the size of the fight in the fish!! I have known Pearl 25 years and she does know what's happening on the Bay. She has been at Tyler's that long........Gary

·
Registered
762 Posts
Nice fish. Gotta love Tyler's! Also cool pick of the beat up Tony. Sometimes it seems like the old beat up baits outcatch the others...probably one reason they're beat up!

·
Registered
215 Posts
That Striper has some pretty good shoulders on him for a 36"er--sounds like a really good fight. Nice landing--congrats! Thanks for the report. Pearl is great and is always very helpful.

Probably won't be able to get out anymore this season--work is getting in the way again. Looking forward to the Spring shows and next season.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts