Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Tidal Fish Commerical Subscriber- I Support Tidal
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bite has with out a doubt changed the last few days. Every day thru this past Thursday we were just putting our full spread of 26 lines out and going fishing with excellent results. There seemend to be bait and fish almost everywhere we went. Then Yesterday AM (Saturday AM) I drove around for a while not seeing a whole lot of anything. This means the fish are probably getting tightly schooled up. So I went looking, around 7:45 I found what I was looking for. The "bird show" and not a boat around the activity yet. We quickly deployed our 7 rod spread and on our first pass across we had all 7 rods down with double hitters on 4 of the 7 lines. The action continued for the next 1.5 hours, throphy fish after trophy fish. I had a crew of TFers on board and they were all about catching and releasing as many fish as possible. The bite was simply awesome. I love seeing those huge schools of Stripers on my fish finder and there were plenty of huge schools to look at on Saturday and today. The boats eventually got really thick and the bite slowly died out around 10:30AM. We picked a few more trophies up after that and then they seemed to disappear. What a morning, our final tally was about 40 Trophies, give or take 1 or 2 either way. It is hard to keep count when you have so many fish coming to the boat at once. The fish were so thick on our first pass that three of our rigs which had double hitters on them also had as many as three shad teasers ripped off.

Today (12/21) I drove around looking for the big hit again and was not having much luck finding it when I got the call. After a little bit more riding, we showed up on the spot and deployed our 7 rod spread, plus 2 roof rods. At first the action was ok catching a Trophy or Two every 20 minutes or so, then things heated up when I found the bait and fish on the fish finder. As the seas were building the bite kept getting better and better. Lots of multiple hook ups and some Gannet activity. When it was time to head for home, we had no lines to crank up, because every rod had just caught a fish. Total count was 35 Trophies and 4 nice "unders". Another awesome day.

If you are interested in gettinig out for one of these late fall Trophy runs, the FIN FINDER is still available December 23, 29, 30. These dates can be filled either as walk on trips or as full charters. If you are interested in any of these dates, just let me know ASAP. Also, I now have two single day trips available in VA Beach and two two day package deal slots open in February.

I had 10 sweet pics ready to post, but the site is not letting me upload them. Sorry......

I contacted the web administrator, hopefully he can get the problem straight. If some of the guys from Saturday have a few pics they want to post, please feel free to do so.

Thanks,

439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are the PICS....... and info on tomorow 12/22

I tried to post the pics again and still no luck, a window opens up and says something about a security token is missing. I will try again later.

Also, due to a changing for the worse weather forecast for today I was forced to call Skip (Sailfish 27) and cancel todays trip. When I went to bed last night, the marine forecast said 20 to 25knts with gusts to 35 from the West. Not a great forecast, but the due West at least keeps it fishable and makes for a not so bad ride home. This AM the weather forecast had changed...... 25 to 30 knts with gusts to 40 from the NW. This sounds about as bad as it gets and it would have been stupid to go out in that. That leaves Skip and 1/2 or 2/3rds of Skips crew from today to go tomorrow aboard the FIN FINDER with Capt. Andrew tomorrow. Just contact me at the number below if you are interested, it would also be good to contact Skip and let him know you are interested. It is his charter, so he will decide how many and so forth. His user name is Sailfish 27.

Rob Derr, Skip knows you want to go and he has you at the top of his list fo add ons. Would you be by yourself or with a buddy?

Thanks,

· Registered
531 Posts
I tried to post the pics again and still no luck, a window opens up and says something about a security token is missing. I will try again later.

Also, due to a changing for the worse weather forecast for today I was forced to call Skip (Sailfish 27) and cancel todays trip. When I went to bed last night, the marine forecast said 20 to 25knts with gusts to 35 from the West. Not a great forecast, but the due West at least keeps it fishable and makes for a not so bad ride home. This AM the weather forecast had changed...... 25 to 30 knts with gusts to 40 from the NW. This sounds about as bad as it gets and it would have been stupid to go out in that. That leaves Skip and 1/2 or 2/3rds of Skips crew from today to go tomorrow aboard the FIN FINDER with Capt. Andrew tomorrow. Just contact me at the number below if you are interested, it would also be good to contact Skip and let him know you are interested. It is his charter, so he will decide how many and so forth. His user name is Sailfish 27.

Rob Derr, Skip knows you want to go and he has you at the top of his list fo add ons. Would you be by yourself or with a buddy?

Thanks,
:rockingreport:

Captain, My respect for you grows with every post of yours that I read. Very admirable that you cancelled today. (very wise also) My hat is off to you!! Sounds like the fishing is flat out incredible in your area now, and you are tuned in on them. Given the present state of the charter industry, coupled with the epic fishing, the fact that you cancelled a reserved trip speaks volumes to your moral charactor.:rockingreport:

· Registered
1,312 Posts
Fished on the Fin Finder Sat 12/20

Capt Greg, I was one of the guys on the Fin Finder on Saturday and our day was equally as great. I don't think we had 40 our best count was 28 with 2 unders. But everybody got plenty of pullage on some very nice fish. For mid December the weather was about as good as you could expect and it was a very memorable day. I have to also tell you that Capt Andrew and Mate Joe are just AWESOME and the Fin Finder is a great boat to fish on. Capt. Andrew and Joe really busted their butt and they have their routine down pretty good. Fellow TFers Phil (Lily) and Pedro were also part of our group. On another note, I bought a bunch of your baits last year and need to get a bunch more for this spring, when is the best time to place an order with you so I get em in time for spring?? I was planning on getting an order to you right after the holidays. Please relay our thanks again to Capt Andrew and Joe for the great day last Saturday.

· Registered
2 Posts

I recently found Tidalfish and answered a post from Capt Greg for a make up charter on board the FIN FINDER Saturday the 20th fishing with Capt. Andrew and first mate Joe. These guys got it going on. If you have a chance to get out with them, DO IT! Thanks again Capt Andrew, Joe and my new Tidalfish friends, for a great day.
Hope the pics post up.
Nathan

· Premium Member
26,871 Posts
Greg - I'm out for Tuesday. Still say we could have gone today- hell 40 knot gusts and freezing spray make it really fun :D:D. Your phone call to cancel was half expected but still hurt not to get out there.Funny though- the rest of the guys thought it the smart thing to do - and in all honesty - I agree 100%.

The bay in winter does not give you a second chance - hope to fish with you before the season ends :thumbup:.

· Registered
15,397 Posts
Greg, Made it 20 minutes from the boat this morning when we got the cancel call. I was up at 2:00 AM and it was 13 degrees. Still wanted to go. I thought it was iffy but trusted your judgement. We got back home at 6:45 and it was 9 degrees. As bad as we all wanted to fish, I respect your decision to cancel. Hope to fish with you another time...........Gary

439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still No Pics and still need 2 or 3 more guys for tomorrow

We still need two or three guys to make tomorrow a go aboard the FIN FINDER.

I will keep trying to post the pics once the glich is fixed.

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.