Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After fighting a cold all week. Had to take off and fish this gorgeous Monday. Had a buddy score me some blue crab from down south as I had not had much luck with the greens lately. Saw a couple whales on the way to the forth. Got set up and started catching a good class of fish. It wasn't hot but steady action as the tide was not running too hard today. Every fish we brought in was a keeper and scored our three man limit with the last piece of bait. Kenny landed the biggest at 22", 7.5lbs and Ron boated his first tog ever and put a couple in the cooler. Felt better today than I have all week. The trollers that came by all had negative reports. 12 miles of vis and not a bird working bait as far as the eye could see. hope the stripers show up next week before it's over.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
your great report reminds me of the years just before the Rockfish Moratoriuim . Wire linners working the pilings of the CBBT , expecting great striper catches--were constantly skunked. I gave up wire linning, as mother nature had already imposed a moratorium of her own...a few years later, the Federal Government( ASMFC) enacted the five year moratorium on commercail and recreational catch of striped bass. I decided to learn to tog fish--which I had never done. The togs had never been fished much at the CBBT before that. Back ion those early days, Also the only place there were many rocks was around the larger pilings over at the High Rise. We would tie up to one of the pilings and load the cooler with togs of all sizes--all year long. Seems that tables are turned. No stripers--lots of togs....just do not overfish them---I think we did over fish them, those many, ignorant years ago.

Thanks you for sharing your photos.

Togs are great sport...and good to eat also.

Dr. Bob Allen, Hampton

·
Registered
409 Posts
Way to go Mike! Glad you guys had a great day! The rockfishing is great this year, you just gotta make the run. I bet there will be a lot of good C&R fishing in the lower bay in a few weeks once the water has cooled down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts