Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left Lynnhaven around 8 AM and headed south to False Cape. Then the fog set in. Visibility was down to 50 yards, so the plan of looking for flocks of gannets was called off. Decided to troll (I know its horrible) until the fog burned off. The radio started to buzz with lots of people catching fish. Used the radar to find the nearest crowd of boats and found our own school of BIG stripers under gannets. I had never seen stripers acting like this. Usually when I see stripers on the surface, they are aggressive, but these fish were lazily swirling around the surface. I missed a couple strikes using a small bunker fly, and then my splicing connecting my running line to my T-14 failed and I lost my sinking line rig. I gave up fly fishing after that and headed in. I think my problem was my fly choice. While I watched my T14 sink to the bottom, I noticed what they were feeding on and it was 1-2" silversides. I'll have to notice things like that next time, and be more prepared with backup rigs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the report capn.
We used to see big fat lazy rockfish waalowing about on the way out to the triangles. I no longer live in Va. but when I come out to visit in mid Jan. I will be armed with flyrod and bunker flies. oh.....nd spare rigs.
Thanks again

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thomas,

Glad got you out there. You'll find this quite a bit in the winter when the big stripers are sipping on huge balls of really small bay anchovies. The key is to scale down to a tiny clouser or surf candy and fish it slow. Nice thing is you can use 8wt and intermediate line since you're not tossing a massive bunker fly. You'd never think a 40" striper would take a 2" fly!

Hope you get out again before you head back to school. Give me a ring if make it back out and we'll work to find them.

Chris

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JMadert- The splice was between my section of T-14 and a Scientific Anglers running line. I made it using 35# braided mono and heat shrink tubing, and super glue. My new line is going to be done right. I have 100 feet of 50 lb. braided mono, and 50 lb. power pro. David M is the original creator of this running line, I beleive. I have spent all afternoon watching bowl games and threading a needle with the power pro through the braided mono. This time i'm going to use pliobond to help the connection, so hopefully this one will last me a while.

Chris- Unfortunately I have to go back tomorrow so that was my last chance at bay fishing. I was pleased with this fall though, I caught a 26 incher, a personal best, near wolf trap on Thanksgiving. I also signed up for another year in Wyoming, so I have that to look forward to next summer. Good luck with the January fishing!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sorry to hear about the T-14 loss. At least that stuff is fairly reasonably priced.

I think you'll like the way the stuffed braid works as a running line. It sinks fast, shoots wicked good, and for me is the best handling running line I've tried, and I've tried lots.

I would suggest whipping the end of the braid instead of using the shrink wrap stuff. I've never had any problems with whipped loops and whipped braid connections. I've heard nothing but horror stories about those shrink wrap things though.

If you have any questions about putting together the stuffed braid line shoot be a bmail.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts