Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I saw what the weather was going to be today, I almost bagged Lynnhaven and went for a local James River smallie trip. Instead, I toughed it out and kept my promise to myself of scouting out some new locations to explore and possibly fish when the water warms a little.

Trip summary:

Launched a little later than I planned but just had to stop at Oceans East 2 Tackle Shop!!!
Love that place!!!). The guy at the shop told me winds were predicted to be 10 mph max with it dying off as the day wore along.

WRONG!!!!! Those meteorologists don't know their head from a hole in the ground. I experienced steady winds at over 20 mph with some gusts so strong that I was paddling for all I was worth and still going backwards!!!

The rest of the trip characteristics were:

Launched at 7:30am
Air temps - 37 degrees

Water temps - 41 degrees

Take out at 2:00 pm
Air temps - 49 degrees
Water temps - 51 degrees

All in all, found some cool spots possibly for tailing reds next year or at least in OCT when the specks get thick in there again. I graphed out a rough estimate of my travels using Bing Maps and pushpins. It even allowed me to draw the route and get an approximate mileage of my trip - which ended up being over 5.5 miles in heavy winds and fast tidal flows

Needless to say, I got some serious exercise today.

Here's the route:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=36.901699278470154~-76.08573913480733&lvl=15&dir=0&sty=r&cid=39C9C293AFCFC427!124

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
That was a pretty good route for finding fish. Did you catch anything? Covering that kind of ground in wind like that is tough.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately no - of course, I didn't bring the full arsenal either. I had left my traditional baits like suspenders and jerk baits at home and was focused on swimming soft baits to no avail. No worries though - I had the enjoyment of watching an old man in his little green dinghy fight the rolling 3-4' waves in the channels between the bridge pilings. He was trolling a white bucktail jig and giving it a couple jerks every couple seconds. Must have watched him land over 15 stipers all between 20-28 inches. Every time he hooked up, he would set the hook good, give a couple quick turns of the handle then give the motor a little juice and pull away from the channel to fight the fish in calmer waters. The outgoing tide was moving so fast that every time I stopped paddling, I found myself being sucked out too quickly. I promptly abandoned the fishing at that point and went back to trolling but nary a bite came my way. Even the shore fishermen caught only a couple even using live eels. It was still a productive trip. I marked plenty of fish all over the place just not where they were a little over a month ago.

I fish out of a Wilderness Systems Ride 135, so I was paddling primarily. I would think a Hobie with a Mirage drive outfitted with the turbo fins would be the best chance of staying "in the pocket" long enough and landing some fish in that area. There were plenty of fish schooled up at the mouth of each channel on either side.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
It looks like you hit a bunch of the fishy spots (based on my 1 time there :pp ), and now you can make a plan for next time. The first time I fish a new spot, I usually don't do very well because it takes me a trip or two to figure out the lay of the land. I usually waste a bunch of time fishing places that aren't very productive rather than cruising around looking for the primo spots.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
It sounds like it was a hands on classroom learning day for you.That's how you get to where you want to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts