Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished with Dennis (fishamajig) and John Gyorda at the CBBT this weekend, I shot the pictures and Dennis wrote up a report:

My 4 day trip was condensed to 1 day with wind forecast. Fished with CBBT newbies Jay Fleming (Jay F) and John Gyorda (Jazz Concert). It was the old man taking the kids fishing!

We stayed on the VA Beach side this year, nice change of pace! Nice restaraunts & night life.

Launched at Bubba's at daybreak for a 10 hour trip. Our goal for the day was to put 100 fish on the fish counter.

Ran to the tube by the 4th, started catching and caught a dozen decent fish, moved to the deep pilings by the 4th with the rest of the fleet, steady pick of fish with the remaining outgoing tide, and then we died a s-l-o-w painful death waiting for the slow lazy tide to turn and come back in which took forever. CBBT= no tide, no fish.

After that it was a mix of deep pilings and birds. The birds would get going and 20 boats would descend on them and then they would move off. Birds were fast moving and scattered. We saw big black bait balls of 4"-6" menhaden pushed to the surface and snagged a few. There were some decent fish in the mix though, the CBBT footballs we came to know and love. It was crazee fishing, lotsa boats cause everyone knew they had 1 day to fish. It was fun though.

Saw a couple of gannett shows but by the time we got there, fish gone.

We never could develop a bite of the 3rd & 4th island like years past. There were fish on the deep pilings at "the curve at the third" in the afternoon.

Caught a fat 27" striper with a green tag from DNR Oxford, I will post later when I get the tag results back. He was sitting in 45' of water next to the 4th island.

We ended the day with 62 fish, the number of slot fish was disappointing with only about 6 but lots of 22"-28" super fat footballs. 3 of our biggest fish were lost due to mistakes, one was caught in a nearby trollers line leaving a 31" fish as the big one of the day and Jay's biggest of the year.

The best lure for piling fishing was "The Bug" tipped with 5" Uncle Josh Striper Strip. (SpecializedBaits.com) This lure is effective on lethargic, neutral fish, it has a lot of action while doing nothing. You bass fisherman can think of it as a saltwater Jig-N-Pig and you know how they work on coldwater bass.

Back at Bubba's we Ran into a father-son team from Harrisonburg, VA with this 45+ pounder caught eeling at the high rise.

Left Lynnhaven at 6:00 PM and arrived in Mechanicsville, MD at 9:00 PM with one stop for $1.49 gas in Caramel Church.

Log in another for the CBBT and fishing with two great guys who seem to be sold...

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Thanks for the report and nice pictures,I cant wait to fish there.
Gannets around is a good thing and hopefully some bigger fish will start to show.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Jay,
Great report and nice photos. I was down there as well fishing Saturday with 3 other guys on Tina's Diamond (TF'er Porkchunker). We worked the 9 foot shoals area pretty much all day and did very well on the incoming tide (strong) and less well on the anemic outgoing tides. We saw working birds at various points during the day but suppressed the urge to give chase.

Overall we got good numbers of slot fish in addition to the fat, fat 22-28" fish as you reported. We might have had one over slot but it popped off after a long struggle. We worked an eclectic assortment of lures but the most productive lure for me, as it has been all year, were chart/white hyper striper jigs with a strip of Uncle Josh's pork rind. Although we weren't specifically counting, altogether we landed well over a 100 fish. We thought we were doing well in comparison to other boats around us until a guy in a17' Whaler buzzed in and absolutely spanked fish for an hour just a couple pilings away from us. It was fun watching him hammer the fish and maneuver his boat around the pilings at the peak of the incoming tide.

It was a beautiful and productive day and we were all thankful to hit the weather window. I hope the night time eelers at the High Rise got off the water before the winds hit because it was howling out there this morning.

As a final testament to the excellent fishing we had, both my hands keep going to sleep (carpel tunnel?), which I assume is from gripping my striper-loaded fishing rod for 12 hours!

See you on the water.

Steve

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Very nice report, Jay. Hoping the bad weather gets on out of here this week. Got next week scheduled down there. Thanks for the great pics as always.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Saw you out by the 4th. I have the yellow SeaCraft. Yeah, you know it's a good day fishing when your sore by the time your done. By the time I was done my wrist hurt from jigging 10" BKD's. Only got one really nice fish, a 42"er, but had a blast catching the 22"-28" footballs. Like you caught only around six in the slot and the one over. Sent you a PM.

Andy

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
ANDY,

We were checking out your boat too! Does that Seacraft have a flat floor front to back? I almost bought the next size up (23-24) before I came across the boat you saw us in. For $7500 and 150 hours I could not pass it up!

Good work on the 42"!

Dennis

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Dennis,

Yes the deck is flat front to back. One of the many things I really like about it. Don't have to worry about tripping over the step.

That is a pretty sweet deal you got. Looked like a fishing machine. Motor's worth that.

What really sucks is got my camera out first thing in the morning and the batteries were dead. Spares missing. Only pics I got were crappy cell phone pics.

Andy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts